Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subtle Mix of 'Femme' by Wall of Death
Hi Guys,

This is the first time I've posted on here.

I've just set myself up with some recording/mixing equipment and have found this site really handy for mixing practice.

Here's my mix, It's quite subtle on the whole, all I've done is eq'd and compressed where needed, set the pans and balanced it all. I think it's come out quite well but would appreciate any feedback, cheers.

.mp3    Femme mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.35 MB)

Hi Smile

In my opinion this mix has too less high end. try to boost the top end of your song with an eq because in that case it sounds boxy and not bright enough
The kick is too dominant and it should not be the most important element in this mix.
But for the first time it is a quite good mix !
Keep moving on Smile
(08-01-2017, 02:34 PM)Before You Jump Wrote: Hi Smile

In my opinion this mix has too less high end. try to boost the top end of your song with an eq because in that case it sounds boxy and not bright enough
The kick is too dominant and it should not be the most important element in this mix.
But for the first time it is a quite good mix !
Keep moving on Smile

Hey, Thanks, I agree the kick is too prominent, spent ages trying to make it as punchy as I could, maybe overdid it.
Will try and get it sounding a bit brighter, I agree that it would help.

My mix seems really quiet compared to a lot of the others, any idea whay this might be?
the loudness depends on the dynamic of your song. So you have to use compressors and limiters in your mix and master to reduce the dynamic (difference between the loud and quiet parts). So you are able to increase the loudness and also to get a more compact song
But donĀ“t overdo it !
Loudness is not as important as the quality of your song !
If overcompressing is audible then it sounds horrible.
Better a good balanced mix instead of compressing the shit out of it only to join the loudness war nowadays.
But in metal you can compress a lot.
The skill is to compress but to archieve dynamics with different tricks at the same time Smile
This is a brutal death metal song, it doesn't need a lot of dynamics. The song needs to be powerful, massive and "in your face" - e.g. the sound of Fleshgod Apocalypse is heavily based on limiting and clipping.
every song needs a kind of dynamic. it does not matter whether it is metal or not.
For me dynamic does not only mean almost the same level.
you can boost the refrain for example for 0.5 dB which is a big "wow" effect.
Or you can use a short automation filter to build up