Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roots Of Mankind
Not a fan of superfluous guitar tracks.
I think that good mic choice and placement yields the best results.

That's the double edged sword of today's technology is that we can have virtually unlimited tracks to record but doesn't mean we should. 40 guitar tracks? Not necessary.

That being said, I think this session was done very well and gave many options for interpretation.
Bravo on the performance and song arrangement, very good.

I decided to mix this with entirely Toontracks EZ Mix 2 because I wanted to use my software and because this was a rather larger session and I wanted to see how nice a mix I could make only using EZ Mix 2.

I'm very pleased with the results given I used only EZ MIx 2.

There were times that it would have been much easier for me to just Eq and compress and process manually using my 3rd party plugins but I was sticking with the game plan of using only EZ Mix 2.

I may actually spend the time and do this session the right way and then compare versions.

Feedback is welcome.

P.S. I know pitch correction would be nice among other things but this is not an option with EZ Mix 2.

Cheers.

.mp3    Root of Mankind.mp3 --  (Download: 13.46 MB)

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Congrats for this very good job!

I like the balance and the guitar sound.
Vocals are impressive too!

I think more highs on the snare drum would have help it to cut through the mix.
And the double bass drum struggles at the end. It's barely audible.

Please do someting to dim the amp noise on the fade out Wink

I'm very surprised by the capabilities of EZ Mix 2. It's cheap but sounds like a pro!

I'm very surprised by the capabilities of EZ Mix 2. It's cheap but sounds like a pro!
[/quote]

Toontrack make excellent products. I like Ezmix for mostly getting a good demo sound but I have and do use it on legit mixes.

I deleted the session and would have to start over.

I don't think I will do that anytime soon but it would be nice to have a solid comparison.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Hey man ! I'm PE's drummer and original mix engineer.

Didn't know EZmix could sound like this ! Love it !

Some little things I would improve : too much delay on the vocals, especially during verses. It's too obvious and distracting. It's fine during choruses since the music is more present.
You have too much low low ends in general. So the kick and basse are a bit undefined in this area. Maybe some multiband compression would help.
Finally, some female vocal parts stand out a bit too much. You can lower them, maybe 3 dB to help them sit better in the mix.

Good job !
(22-01-2017, 04:58 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hey man ! I'm PE's drummer and original mix engineer.

Didn't know EZmix could sound like this ! Love it !

Good job !

Thanks for the listen. I will definatly take all of your points into account when I mix this song in a conventional way. (meaning not using EZMIX2 and actually mixing.) Im very interested in seeing the outcome. Great song BTW. Keep it up.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1