Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Brew - What I Want
I'll run down in the order that you have not so much order of importance.
1. The drums are weak. I think that might be my biggest issue with this mix. I don't remember how the original tracks are on this (I messed with it a while ago but moved on). Mostly I hear hi hat and ride. The feel mono. Spreading out the overheads and toms might open up the drums a little bit. Don't worry about gating unless leakage is really a big issue. It's a funky tune and the drum groove should be as important as anything else.
2. Gain staging is really important. Mostly when a tutorial refers to "turning up is bad" they mean that making a bad mix louder will often give the illusion that is sounds good. Having your monitors at a louder level from the beginning isn't necessarily a bad thing. The faders become "volume knobs" to some people and if the monitors are low the kick fader gets turned up to compensate. Then the snare...On and on until everything is maxed. If the monitors are at a "proper" level the kick is hear properly at a low fader level. I could go on but I'm terrible at explaining things. There's plenty of resources online to check out about gain staging.

The swirling guitar is a cool sound but I think it's a bit much. Maybe if that sound swirled around a drier, anchored part it'd be less distracting.
The bass does sound good. I don't have any issues with that.
I'm not familiar with Isotope or Ozone so I can't comment on that.

I'm not a fan of the random, leakage noises being left in. It feel like it's supposed to be a polished tune and those things take away from that in this instance.

Hope that helps

Messages In This Thread
The Brew - What I Want - by Dr.Gerry - 04-01-2017, 02:45 PM
RE: The Brew - What I Want - by Roy - 04-01-2017, 03:39 PM
RE: The Brew - What I Want - by Dr.Gerry - 04-01-2017, 10:51 PM