Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom Mckenzie,Directions mix 2
My first mix of 2017 great track,here is my mix.

.mp3    Tom Mckenzie, Directions.mp3 --  (Download: 6.82 MB)

It feels really good. Here's what I hear:
- The bass feels a little loud and maybe too big on the bottom. I'm not a great judge of this being on earbuds but it jumped out at me and if it does on earbuds it might be something to look at. I'm sure someone else would have a better idea than me.
- There's something about the overall dryness that bothers me for some reason. I think on the second listening it may have to do with the guitar having a small but noticeable room sound but the vocal pretty much dry. I guess because that section is so naked it's noticeable. That first guitar puts me in a space and the vocal comes in it feels too stark by comparison. When the second guitar comes it it feels ok. But when the drums come in it feels a little cluttered like everyone crowding into the same room. It'd be nice if the sidestick was just a little more in the back.
- There's a vocal fade in in the 1st verse that stands out.

It sounds great and I'm being nit picky. There's really nothing to not like. I feel like the dryness overall was intentional on your part so it's just a personal preference on my part. Good work.
Thanks for your comments I was in two minds about the bass,the vocals may feel dry but they are actually going through room verb and modulation (subtly) to be felt not heard to give that warm and intimate feel, the vision I had for this mix was a close and warm feel,thanks again i will have a look at the bass in the next mix.
Hi Roy after looking into my mix and realised that i did,nt put a low cut on the bass so i made some corrections,cheers.

.mp3    Tom Mckenzie, Directions mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.81 MB)

Sounds great. I think that bass sound fits the song better. I don't know if you changed anything else but the mix feels more open.

(05-01-2017, 06:17 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds great. I think that bass sound fits the song better. I don't know if you changed anything else but the mix feels more open.
Thanks for your comments.