Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Brew - What I Want
Hi Guys,
This is my version of this amazing song.
Please take a listen and if you have any comment I will appreciate.
Best regards!

.mp3    The Brew - What I Want.mp3 --  (Download: 8.89 MB)

I think it's ok. The main issue I have is the panned vocal. It just feels off but that might be something that bothers me as an mixer and not a regular listener.

It feels like there's some compression keeping the whole thing in check. It'd be nice for it to be more dynamic and open.

The very end of the song can be a little cleaner. There's a bit of the original click track bleed coming through.

Hope that helps.
(03-01-2017, 05:55 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I think it's ok. The main issue I have is the panned vocal. It just feels off but that might be something that bothers me as an mixer and not a regular listener.

It feels like there's some compression keeping the whole thing in check. It'd be nice for it to be more dynamic and open.

The very end of the song can be a little cleaner. There's a bit of the original click track bleed coming through.

Hope that helps.

Hi Roy.
Thank you very much for your comment. I just rendered another version based on what you said.
I changed a little bit the backing vocals. The fact was that the vocal that sings the word "cause" in that part was panned to left causing a strange movement. In this version it is in center. I think you were right and it's better now. Besides that there was a phaser effect in this vocal. I just use less phaser in this new version.
The click track was on the guitars and I removed it.
Please take a listen to this new version. I hope it's better.
Take care!

.mp3    The Brew - What I Want (V2).mp3 --  (Download: 8.89 MB)

Re: V2 -The main vocal still feels right heavy to me. It could be just me. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Also the far panned Guitar on the left and Keys on the right overpower the center of the mix making the drums feel a little small in comparison. The vocal feels ok but I think that might because it's off center.

(03-01-2017, 08:01 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Re: V2 -The main vocal still feels right heavy to me. It could be just me. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Also the far panned Guitar on the left and Keys on the right overpower the center of the mix making the drums feel a little small in comparison. The vocal feels ok but I think that might because it's off center.

I identified the problem.
It was on the parallel compression. The vocal send was panned hard right (I didn't do that... Big Grin). So the main vocal really sounds off center...
I Also revisited pan for guitars and keys.
Thank you for your feedback man.

.mp3    The Brew - What I Want (V3).mp3 --  (Download: 8.89 MB)

Yeah the vocal feels "right" now.
I didn't have a problem with the panning of the guitar and piano it was more their volume. I actually liked them hard left and right but they were just relatively too loud to the instruments that were in the center like the bass and drums. I'd pan them back and drop them in volume a bit. Especially the guitar. Some notes really poke out in the chorus.

Or

keep the piano centered. Pan the guitar left, drop its volume. There's another guitar in the chorus that comes in that would balance it out. During the verse the hi hat balances it.

Just a thought.
(03-01-2017, 09:18 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Yeah the vocal feels "right" now.
I didn't have a problem with the panning of the guitar and piano it was more their volume. I actually liked them hard left and right but they were just relatively too loud to the instruments that were in the center like the bass and drums. I'd pan them back and drop them in volume a bit. Especially the guitar. Some notes really poke out in the chorus.

Or

keep the piano centered. Pan the guitar left, drop its volume. There's another guitar in the chorus that comes in that would balance it out. During the verse the hi hat balances it.

Just a thought.

Hi Roy,
These are very good ideas. I will try the second one. I believe it will bring more dynamic to the mix. And I liked the piano centered. It fits very well with the bass arrangement.
Well, this is the result. Centered keyboard and guitar oscilating.
What do you think?

.mp3    The Brew - What I Want (alternative pan).mp3 --  (Download: 8.89 MB)

Much better. Definitely the best version you've done so far.