Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Need advice to mix this one !!
Hey guys !

I've downloaded the tracks. The instrumental tracks were (almost) quite easy to set up. The vocals.... What a f*****ng nightmare !!!! Any tips to set the panning and volume right ? They are so dynamic ! Even with a compressor I can't get them right !

And worse, I have the feeling that except the two first vocal tracks which are the lead and DT lead, the rest have not been put into a specific order and they're not labelled at all.

Thanks guys !
One thing I did was go through and move some sections of the vocals to the lead vocal tracks. As long as they don't overlap and sound like the same parts. Often that moved louder vocals off the some of the quieter tracks so I didn't have to automate so much.

So essentially comped a new set of lead tracks. I don't have the session on my laptop at the moment or I'd upload a screenshot.

Does that make any sense?
Here's a rough idea. Hopefully the color coding gives you some idea of what I did. Omitted are the last 4 scream vocals.

Edit: I don't think that's from a final version so it's more for the concept.

Thumbnail(s)

Yeah it's a good idea ! Thanks Roy Smile

In logic I can easily play with the pre gain of each track. I will set the gain of my regions properly so they will be less dynamic.

I guess the producer and mix engineer was the same person, so it's easy for him. But when tracks are not properly labelled, it's a nightmare for us to understand what we should normally do.
The other thing I wound up doing was just having an empty vocal session where I spent time arranging the tracks. It was just easier to focus that way. Then I imported the tracks into the main session. Also I think I had 3 Vocal buses. 1 for the leads, 1 for tracks 3-5 which I think were mostly a totally different vocal/part and the rest went to a background bus. That's were I did a lot of rides after the individual levels were set.
Hello...
Basically compress them heavily... After that throw a limiter on it to squash the peaks (don't distortion it)... And after that any difference in volumes just automate.

I would send all main vocals to a buss and do all mentioned there.. that way even if you automate you are still compressing evenly. (I mean automate the buss not the individual tracks).. or you could do it all individually is up to you.. just make sure you have a hole in the center to place the vocal.

Send all your main busses and separate tracks to a mini master buss and call it instrumental.. do a small EQ scoop around the2k- 3 k.. or if you can automate a dynamic compressor and sidechain to vocal buss.. have it compress the 2k-5k area when vocals are playing.. it will make your vocals seat better.
Since we're all logic guys so far one thing that kinda worked for me was to us the stock logic compressor and use it's internal side chain option (in the disclosure triangle at the bottom of the plug in) to compress some of the harsh mids out. I tried a ton of options but for whatever reason that was the one that worked best on taming some of the annoying frequencies of the vocals. Maybe it'd work for you too.
Thank you guys for your advices ! Now time to get back to work with this song !