Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
El Mix De Still Flyin
Evening y'all,

After hours of braving through seas of analyzers, reference tracks, and coffee, I present my first ever mix to this forum. I still have more work planned for it but I would like feedback on the overall sound of it so far. Also, I am using Presonus Studio One's Ampire amp sim for the melody guitars. If anyone has suggestions on how to better use that or what a better (and preferably cheap) amp sim would be, I'm all ears because I could not get what I was wanting.

.mp3    Still Flyin Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.45 MB)

Not bad bill

You should use a limiter in your master bus to get more volume on your mix.

Scream solo is off by a lot in the tempo scale.
Kick and snare are a lil foggy. you should get rid of some mud freq.
Definitely more reverb work on drums vocals.. for example at 2:59 things are sounding very dry

Overall this is well balanced is just the Eq that needs more polish.
Keep it up.
Thanks for the suggestions man! I'll post another version once I hack away at those issues and play around with more fine tuning.
Also, if anyone's interested, AKG k701's are on sale for $150 US at eglobalcentral.com. They are proving to be a dern fine pair of headphones so I thought I'd spread the news.
Overall the mix is quite bright and harsh eq wise. The drums verb is clouding them and throwing off the instrument balance which seems quite dry. The whole mix could use more ambience matching..meaning use only one or two verbs. The guitars sound full and smooth. The bass is a little hot as well. Guitars, Keys, and vocals sound pretty good. Nice work for a first mix. Cheers
Thanks for the feedback, man. I will look into the brightness you speak of. Any chance you have any deeper suggestions on what needs to be toned down? And reverb has been a real struggle for me ever since I started learning how to mix! I only put reverb on the snare and kick so maybe I didn't match it well enough to how it was recorded.. I'll look into that as well. Hopefully I'll have something up in a couple days!