Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STILL FLYING - My mixing advanture here!
Hi guys, I noticed that this song is quite popular here Big Grin I decided to work on it so let's see what I will end up with.

Here's my very first version. This is I would call rough. I am experimenting different things here, since I didn't really mix something like this before - effects, GTR tones, drum tones, vocals etc, totally new to me. I am more like a pop-rock/electronic guy. I like CLA mixes.

There are many things to do. Drum triggering isn't done - some errors there, I will also replace toms, the weird sound with toms are because of the bad gating. I will remove that part. There are also many timing/pitch difficulties I will have to correct. This song needs, I think, "fix everything in the mix" approach. Very challenging. I will try to correct them as much as I can.

Anyway, my ears are quite exhausted now, so I would like you to check and give me some thoughts, am I going the wrong way, or does it sound promising?

.mp3    STILLFLYING_MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.22 MB)

My English isn't as good anymore as it used to be, so please bear with me if I write in a very strict manner. If you use simple sentences like I do, it might sound rude and/or robotic sometimes because of all the missing bells and whistles.

Therefore my advice to you is very simple: You should listen to other mixes on this forum and compare them with your mix. Or even better, download the mixes that other people on this forum like and use them as reference tracks in your project. That way you can fix most of the problems for yourself, and as you have already stated the list of stuff you have to fix is quite long =)

So there you have it: A critique and advice Smile

What an advice there! Big Grin

I am really serious your advice would be the advice of the year! Smile I've listen to the original mix and couple of other mixes here, that definetely helps a lot. Though sometimes human interaction, sharing ideas etc. would be joyful to me. Friendship rules! Other than that you can definetely fix everything yourself without even posting a single word in this forum.

Nevertheless I appreciated your advice! Thank you.
Ha. I'll echo what Blitzzz said. The best thing you can do at this point is check out other versions of this song and see what they're doing. This mix is misses the mark and I say that with all due respect. Which is totally fine. Like you said, you haven't mixed anything like this before. Neither had I. But I know I learned a lot in trying even if I never really got close. Still. Keep at it.

Here's what I'll say.
- I don't remember any real "timing/pitch" problems so don't worry about fixing things too much. There's plenty to work on without doing too much fixing. Except for:
- Some guitar and the scream vocal tracks are not in sync. That's a known issue with the multi tracks. They are all off the same amount. Tracks El Gtr 3-10 and the Scream Vocals (the last 4 vocal tracks) need to be advanced forward in the song. The easiest way is to use EL Gtrs 4/5 and line them up with the top of the chorus. If they nail that then you're pretty close.
-It's not as challenging as it seems. Worry about getting the rhythm section solid. The vocals are tricky but don't worry about that until you have a strong foundation. This mix shouldn't be too hard to get 80% there. The last 20% is difficult but you should be able to get to that stage. Like Blitzzz said, listen to different references and versions of the mix on here. You'll get the best idea of what to aim for from them.

Good luck

Hey Roy, thanks for your input!

I think I will try to really match my mix with the original.