Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My version of "Marigold"
It would be nice to hear some criticism Cool

.m4a    DonCamilloChoir_MarshMarigoldsSong_Full 02.m4a --  (Download: 2.86 MB)

Hi ficorax,

Here you go:

You did well at minimizing/disguising the distortion in the solo at 42-43 sec. How did you do that?

I miss some low end, some width and some 'panoramic glue' in your mix, compared to other mixes in this forum.
The reverb of the solo is somewhat to much to my taste.

Rob
Thanx for some opinion, Rob.
I treated solo with a lot of EQ (especially in order to remove some resonances). After very gentle compression (parameters that I used activate compression from 39 to about 46 seconds). At the end - this unfortunate reverberation... Tongue
For rest of voices: EQ + gentle compression on whole choir without solo.
Some reverb send for complete.
What do you mean by "panoramic glue". How you would change this?
Yesss... and whole work on headphones... Cool
You'r welcome.

So you applied surgical compression, somewhat like de-essing. Good work.

By 'panoramic glue' (term invented by myself) I mean some soundwise cohesion or bonding of the stereofield. In mixes of others, the low bass sound of the men keeps left, middle en right together and in balance. I have the impression you retained less low end in your mix. When I take a look at my Vu-type meters, I see that left and right channel differ very often in level, more than in other mixes; I suppose that 's expression of the same phenomenon.
So my suggestion is to mix in a bit more low end left and right, and hear what that does to your mix!