Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Headwound Harry - XXXV (M&F)
(27-12-2016, 03:01 PM)dcp10200 Wrote:
(26-12-2016, 06:15 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: I referenced Metallica's latest album.

Um, Hardwired really? Well there's the reason why it hit hard, you're comparing Deathcore against Metallica in their non Thrash Metal era. Seriously, go compare your mix against stuff that it would directly compete with like: Chelsea Grin, The Black Daliah Murder, Suicide Silence, Job For a Cowboy, The Human Abstract, White Chapel, After The Burial, Born of Osiris, and Veil of Maya. I'm willing to bet it gets trounced by those bands' mixes. Hell, put it up against For All The Kings, the newest by Anthrax and it probably won't stack up.

No offence meant, you seem to pick weird reference mixes to base your mixes off

Your only focus should be trouncing mine with your version.. all these external competitive comparisons, all of which are unique artist/songs, is moot.. this song is this song..

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
(27-12-2016, 06:32 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote:
(26-12-2016, 06:15 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: I referenced Metallica's latest album.

Um, Hardwired really? Well there's the reason why it hit hard, you're comparing Deathcore against Metallica in their non Thrash Metal era. Seriously, go compare your mix against stuff that it would directly compete with like: Chelsea Grin, The Black Daliah Murder, Suicide Silence, Job For a Cowboy, The Human Abstract, White Chapel, After The Burial, Born of Osiris, and Veil of Maya. I'm willing to bet it gets trounced by those bands' mixes. Hell, put it up against For All The Kings, the newest by Anthrax and it probably won't stack up.

Your only focus should be trouncing mine with your version.. all these external competitive comparisons, all of which are unique artist/songs, is moot.. this song is this song..

Maybe for you that i acceptable because you don't see past this website. In the real world though people will go to you so you can make them sound a certain way. As engineers we need to understand something. It's NEVER about you.. it's always about them. Consumer don't give a rats tail about who mixed the song.. they just care about what they are hearing. You are hearing this for you and according to you... We are hearing it as consumers and the truth is if I play a song from chealsea grin and right after I play this.. I, as a consumer will know something went wrong with this song.

I understand your view of "this song is his own" self but this style is also it's own too and there is always some guidelines to follow.. sure you can Bend the rules as I have expressed my self in other comments but you can't break the rules. Metal core will sound like metal core.. metal like metal..Etc.. but get a pop track and put in a death core vocal and it's no longer pop and is no longer death core.. it's something else and it should be citiqued as something else.

As "something else genre" the only thing I hear wrong with your mix is the clipping distortion in your guitars.. call it a distortion FX over a distorted guitar.. it's still clipping distortion because you are chopping the sine wave even more than it already is. Smile

I agree with dcp on this not meeting expectations in its genre.. but using your view that is my observation of it. And as a consumer it lacks the power.. you did manage excitement but the overall sound lacks power.

My honest opinion.
(27-12-2016, 07:38 PM)Shul Wrote:
(27-12-2016, 06:32 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote:

Maybe for you that i acceptable because you don't see past this website. In the real world though people will go to you so you can make them sound a certain way. As engineers we need to understand something. It's NEVER about you.. it's always about them. Consumer don't give a rats tail about who mixed the song.. they just care about what they are hearing. You are hearing this for you and according to you... We are hearing it as consumers and the truth is if I play a song from chealsea grin and right after I play this.. I, as a consumer will know something went wrong with this song.

I understand your view of "this song is his own" self but this style is also it's own too and there is always some guidelines to follow.. sure you can Bend the rules as I have expressed my self in other comments but you can't break the rules. Metal core will sound like metal core.. metal like metal..Etc.. but get a pop track and put in a death core vocal and it's no longer pop and is no longer death core.. it's something else and it should be citiqued as something else.

As "something else genre" the only thing I hear wrong with your mix is the clipping distortion in your guitars.. call it a distortion FX over a distorted guitar.. it's still clipping distortion because you are chopping the sine wave even more than it already is. Smile

I agree with dcp on this not meeting expectations in its genre.. but using your view that is my observation of it. And as a consumer it lacks the power.. you did manage excitement but the overall sound lacks power.

My honest opinion.

Lacking power in comparison to what other version of this song?
For starters the original mix.
That one is rich in power.. it's thick and is mid exciting.

Just like human arm.. a thicker muscular arm will always be stronger than a thin and skinny one. When a mix is thin it doesn't sound as powerful so to me it needs to be beefier. We can always agree it all comes down to taste but let's just say is the few vs the many. Smile
Oops. hit send too early. I'll fix this in a minute.

Edit: NVM
(27-12-2016, 11:38 PM)Shul Wrote: For starters the original mix.
That one is rich in power.. it's thick and is mid exciting.

Just like human arm.. a thicker muscular arm will always be stronger than a thin and skinny one. When a mix is thin it doesn't sound as powerful so to me it needs to be beefier. We can always agree it all comes down to taste but let's just say is the few vs the many. Smile

In my post I made the statement the original mix is excellent, and of course there's many different ways a nuance in mixing can output this song. There's some songs that are made by a great mix, this song is not one because the original mix is good. I am going to request more material from this provider, would be interesting to hear a few tunes lined up together presented in a playlist form.
i usually listen to the songs I mix on this forum personally (I find the music here is really good for my listening tastes) and after just blasting the 24-bit version of this just now.. I really love it, dont feel comfortable touching it. Thanks for the valued ears as always guys.