Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Knockout" Ricky's Final Mix
I've been mixing hip hop/rap for a few years but have never been able to get my mixes to sound as good as songs I hear on mixtapes or albums from local artists around me. I found this after looking for some multitracks to mix with. I instantly was attracted to knockout because it was right around the quality and sound I was trying to get.

I did a couple mixes to this song earlier in the month but I still was not satisfied with it, today I opened up a new project and mixed again from the ground up. This time after mixing I visited to the board and took notes of what others was recommended for this specific song. I believe the advice I saw on here help me improve on this mix a lot but I would rather have a second opinion from a new set of ears. Any advice or suggestions are welcome, I'm just trying to improve overall as a mixer.

.mp3    MERCMusic_Knockout_First_Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 1.98 MB)

.mp3    MERCMusic_Knockout_Final_Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 1.94 MB)

Hello

*The overall Beat is very muddy and has no low energy. I'm not sure what you are using but The tracks as they are are good enough.
*Piano and synths need to come up to the level of vocals
*hihats of drums need to come up to the level of vocals too.

It is definitely better sounding than your first one though. You should definitely look into balancing tutorials on youtube so you get a better grasp at it. Wink
(21-12-2016, 08:35 AM)Shul Wrote: Hello

*The overall Beat is very muddy and has no low energy. I'm not sure what you are using but The tracks as they are are good enough.

It is definitely better sounding than your first one though. You should definitely look into balancing tutorials on youtube so you get a better grasp at it. Wink

Thank you very much for your advice, Im definitely heading to youtube right now lol, is there any way I can get rid of the mud and add energy back to the beat? Or will turning the levels of the instruments help with that issue as you suggested?
(21-12-2016, 08:35 AM)Shul Wrote: Hello

.mp3    MERCMusic_Knockout_Final Mix_Revision_session.mp3 --  (Download: 1.94 MB)

Yeah mud is around the 300 and 600 Hz. Of you make a cut here and turn up the volume it makes it exciting a bit more. It always depends on what you are working on.

I will give it a listen later I'm at work right now.
Yup.. definitely an improvement over the last two mixes... good job and keep it up Wink
(23-12-2016, 06:47 AM)Shul Wrote: Yup.. definitely an improvement over the last two mixes... good job and keep it up Wink
Thank you so much for the help Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin