Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apprehended - Still Flyin (Blackeye Mix)
Here's my version of this song! Subscribe Big Grin

.mp3    The Apprehended - Still Flyin (Blackeye Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 5.35 MB)

I like it. Personally I'm burnt out on this song so I don't have the brain power for it anymore. Here's a couple of things though.
The bridge guitars (6-10) and scream vocals (18-21 I think) are off. They're off the same amount that the lead tracks (3-5) were off. You have the timing of the leads right.

I like the vocals on this version. As much as I can like these vocals. Good balances. That's one area most of us have been lazy and it's nice to hear the vocals fleshed out and produced more.

Subscribe? lol I don't know what that means...

anyways Hello.

Good balance here but aside from what Roy mentioned
*Bass has a rumbling going on on the low end that is destroying the mix. Also that distortion on it is very prominent in comparison with the guitars.
*at 2:15 there is a lot of low end build up between the bass and kick.
*Drums need to come up in volume they are a bit burried in the back.
*Snare has a very little snap on it. It lacks that power in it.. or that beef.
*Vocals like roy says are excelent. I would say spot on.
*Guitar tones are very hard to pinpoint because the distortion of bass is interfering a lot but by the end they sound nice.

Overall it's good but needs more work with EQ. and a few changes in balance on drums and guitars to make it better.
Hope this helps.
I quite like this mix, aside from some of the guitars etc being in the wrong place. Bass guitar is a bit loud, but overall it's pretty good. Nice work Joey.
The bass doesn't fit this mix IMHO. It's too much fret noise, and the low end is also not in good shape. And of course we have another guy ignoring rule number 1: Listen to the ref mix! There are too many tracks in the wrong place so I couldn't really enjoy this mix. Other than that it's a good mix, but it was hard to listen to the good stuff because of the bass and the misplaced tracks.
(21-12-2016, 11:42 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: And of course we have another guy ignoring rule number 1: Listen to the ref mix!

It's funny, even without the ref mix it should be blatantly obvious that those lead tracks are out of sync with the rest of the song. The harmony leads should be fairly obvious as it joins the first lead guitar (which is in sync) for a solo (bands, if you're bringing a track in to have mixed, make sure to have all tracks are in sync especially if they are critical things like vocals and leads like in this track).

To Joey:
Anyhow, my comments on the mix mirror everybody else's:
* the bass is dominating everything

*the leads are out of sync

*Vocals sound good, low harmony vocals (the "Good Man") is way louder than the rest of the vocals, it's really jarring and drowns out the rest of the mix. I would also say that the Lead Vocals are buried underneath the rest of the band, especially in the chorus, in the pop/rock world vocals are the focus and need to be up front and present in the mix.

*Due to the bass being so prominent in the mix you've made the rest of the mix soft sounding, it doesn't hit at all. I can respect a more atmospheric approach by making the synths louder and giving the tracks more atmosphere, here though it doesn't work and just makes the mix sound like a mess.

I can't really say much more than that, There are some good elements in the mix that are being clouded by the bass being too prominent and the out of sync harmony leads and screamed vocals

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Nice balanced mix! I have to say I hear vocals a little much far. On parts can notice what´s he singing. Also I think the bass attack is too loud and a gets a little exhausting on the chorus.

WOW NICE EDITING on 2:10 way a better way to get on the guitar solo.

Watch out on the screams and on the clean guitars also, they are shifted in the time signature. they came wrong I think, I had to assemble that too.

Cheers!