Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Escape - Roots of mankind (revised)
So here is my first post in the discussion zone Smile

That was a lot of guitars! I handled that by putting them in groups of four, panned them and then exported the groups, so that I had 10 guitar tracks to work with.

I used many instances of compression and a little bit of parallel compression for the vocals (in retrospect I think they are too loud).

All in all it was pretty fun to work with this song, especially the editing (which was a lot in my case) was a great learning experience. Big thanks to the band members for providing the song.

.mp3    roots of mankind.mp3 --  (Download: 8.05 MB)

.mp3    roots of mankind_mixing_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.05 MB)

Hello

Here are some points while listening on my car stereo

*I deleted several guitar tracks because I didn't like the tone in several of them. They are the same guitar just different mics for it. Having said that you should be careful with the low end of you used all of them. Ican hear some low end build up in areas. However you managed a great full feel with all those tracks.
*kick is conflicting with bass but I'm not sure if the guitars have too much to do with it.
*toms are very low in the mix.. Very difficult to hear it.
*vocals are sounding good. So nice job here.

Overall good balance for the most part. The major issue here is the low end build up. Other than that good job.

I shall give it another listen when I get back home in my studio monitors.

Keep it up.
My comments still stand while listening on my monitors

*Vocal at 1:54 has too much 3kz -5khz ... it's hurting my ear.
*I hear guitars better and it sounds like they have too much reverb. Though I think most of the low energy is coming from the Bass now.
Hi there ! Thank you for mixing our music Smile I'm Perpetual Escape's drummer.

The first thing I've noticed is the 3D placement of the drums which behind the other instruments. They seem to be nicely mixed, but I'd like to hear them more :p
Overall there are some balance issues between the tracks. Sometimes the vocals jump out, sometimes the guitar. some automation through the whole song will help to make the balance more consistant.

Otherwise I really like the EQ moves you did, especially on drums. Guitars sound a little bit harsh, probably coming from the 4K area. Nothing big Wink

I like the vocals, they sound nice ! It looks like you add a special effect on the guitars during the intro ? Like a stutter maybe ? I really love it ! You can even make it sound longer, I'm sure it would suit the song perfectly !

Nice job, keep it up !
Thanks for your feedback! I just revised my mix.

I'm not sure if I should trust you with the drum volume, Mandubien... As I'm a guitar player, I like to have the guitars louder Big Grin Although, I think you are right, they could have been a bit more massive.
I just listened to the bass sound solo and noticed how I exaggerated with the growl Big Grin So I made it more subtle.
I also put the vocals a bit down and played a little more with automation.
The effect during the intro is just the first guitar riff reversed, nothing too fancy Smile