Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roots Of Mankind - Olli H
There were so many small details in those tracks that I'm sure that I've missed quite many of them in my first version.

The moment I hear double tracked distorted guitars on sides, I know I'm on the weak ice. As I have no real user experience of this genre, I just followed my intuition, which quite often leads me to wrong paths.

EDIT: Latest version in post #10

.mp3    roots-of-mankind-2016-12-05-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 13.59 MB)

It feels pretty good. I'm sure there are a number of little details that can be focused and worked on but as a whole it sits well.
There are some vocals that really poke out and feel loud. Particularly the double tracked male vocals. I forget what they're called. In the 1st verse the toms have an dominant tone that could be cut back.

Overall it works. Right now it feels pretty "grunge". Certainly not a bad thing but maybe lighter than the band would aim for. Sure, it could be taken up a notch but as it is there's not too much to complain about tonally. Good intuition.
HI

Great energy here.

*there is a guitar noise at 0:33
*The guitar tones in my opinion sound a bit harsh. they have too much air. Though they sound great when palm mute playing.. perhaps automating their eq when they play all out vs palm mute. I believe this is a reason for why fret noise is very prominent. ( 1:46 )
*just follow the light phrase seats good here.. way better than mine anyways Smile
*at 3:22 that boost in volume on those guitars is a bit too much in my opinion.. they made the drums sound very small. also a bit harsh for my ears.. feel free to ignore though this is more of a taste thing.
*Toms have a a small conflict with bass on the lower freq. It causes this build in the back.
*Vocals are well leveled imo but I would love more reverb and a bit of delay there so they don't sound too dry.

Overall very good energetic mix Olli. Even if it's not you genre you made it sound very nice.
Keep it up.

Hi! Thanks for your feedback. In the overall tone there seems to be some upper middle build up from time to time. The main culprit seems to be the guitars, as they start to constructively interfere with the vocals and snare mainly in the notorious ear drill area. The composition of the mix feels good, and for me the vocals sound very good and intelligible.

As you probably noticed, there is some phase or time shift during the session in the drum tracks, possibly due to non-phase aligned editing, so don't put too much effort on getting a pleasing drum sound, as it will change through the song. ^_^
Thanks for all the feedback, good points.
Some quick adjustments to guitars, toms, bass and vox. More needs to be done, but I'm in quite big hurry now, so I'll come back later to them.

.mp3    roots-of-mankind-2016-12-06-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 13.59 MB)

I genuinely like this Olli,

I think the guitar tones are great and the panning and arrangement works well. I also like the drum placement and sonics. To be critical of anything, I would say that I feel there is still some congestion in the low mids (bass snare toms). I'm wondering if the bass could do with a cut in this area to help create some space. Toms are also sounding a little resonate still. Another thing I noticed but not sure it's a real issue is the male vocal sounds much closer than the female. The female vocal sounds pushed back when the male part comes in. Otherwise the vocal parts sit nicely and work well.

As I said, I like this mix, and when time permits, some extra tweaks and automation moves could finish this one nicely.

Dave
Guitars are quite thin. Drums lack punch and weight. Guitars could use some editing here and there. Some parts you can hear the guitarist's hand glide across the strings or in the parts where a certain track wasn't playing quite yet you can hear the amp hum.

Keep at it man
SPS
(26-12-2016, 11:27 AM)Dangerous Wrote: I genuinely like this Olli,

I think the guitar tones are great and the panning and arrangement works well. I also like the drum placement and sonics. To be critical of anything, I would say that I feel there is still some congestion in the low mids (bass snare toms). I'm wondering if the bass could do with a cut in this area to help create some space. Toms are also sounding a little resonate still. Another thing I noticed but not sure it's a real issue is the male vocal sounds much closer than the female. The female vocal sounds pushed back when the male part comes in. Otherwise the vocal parts sit nicely and work well.

As I said, I like this mix, and when time permits, some extra tweaks and automation moves could finish this one nicely.

Dave

Yes I agree, low mids need some further treatment. Good point about the distance to male-female voices. Thanks
Hi Olly Smile Thank you for mixing our music ! I'm PE's drummer.

As Shul said, lots of energy here ! I like that, and I would say my mates would like it too Smile

I noticed you have uncontrolled low ends everywhere, coming from the bass I would say. It masks the kick lows so it does not have much clarity.
Female vocals are a bit burried during verses, probably because of the guitars. Some EQ moves can help to give more clarity to the voice.
The snare and the male vocals sound thin to my ears. You can tame the vocals a bit at around 4-6 kHz, and add lots of 150-200 hz to my snare to make it sound fuller.

Keep it up !
Thanks for all comments.
I tried to fix many things by altering almost everything. Maybe something fixed and maybe some new problems.

This time I was studying Alter Bridge as a reference as it was recommended by Mandubien in some thread.

.mp3    roots-of-mankind-2016-12-29-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 13.34 MB)