Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
W.I.N.D - Funky to the bone
Hi Guys,
This is my version of this amazing song.
Please take a listen and if you have any comment I will appreciate.
Best regards!

.mp3    W.I.N.D. - Funky to the bone.mp3 --  (Download: 13.8 MB)

Hello =)

Whate came to my head while listening:
-Way too much verb for my taste.
-Balance is pretty good, vocals could be a bit louder.

Overall not bad but too wet for me :p !
Take care.
Mixing with a dt770 for now..
(06-12-2016, 02:09 PM)Jimdolorian Wrote: Hello =)

Whate came to my head while listening:
-Way too much verb for my taste.
-Balance is pretty good, vocals could be a bit louder.

Overall not bad but too wet for me :p !
Take care.

Hi Jimdolorian!
Thank you very much for your comments.
Reverb is really a matter of taste...In this particular song i thought it was a good idea to imagine the band playing in a large room. I tried to build a coherent scene based on that.
Best regards!
Hi ,
I'm working on this this song too !!!
Your mix sounds really good and balanced ,but does sound bass heavy and agree the reverb sounds too much in the low frequencies as previously mentioned.
(07-12-2016, 12:15 PM)eclipseaudio Wrote: Hi ,
I'm working on this this song too !!!
Your mix sounds really good and balanced ,but does sound bass heavy and agree the reverb sounds too much in the low frequencies as previously mentioned.

Hi Eclipseaudio,
Thank you very much for your comments.
I'll try another version taking into account yours and Jimdolorian's impressions. Big Grin
Take care!
Hi Guys,
Here's a 2nd version with a more control in the low end and reverb, and vocals is a bit louder. I think it brings more clarity to the mix.
What do you think?
Tongue

.mp3    Funky to the bone (version 2).mp3 --  (Download: 13.8 MB)

Love your bass-line. Very funky and works well with the kick so that the bottom end is nicely balanced. Your snare is also nice and clear which means that overall your mix grooves along nicely.

The thing that worries me is that it sounds like your vocals, guitars and rhythm sections each have their own, very different ambiences. The rhythm section is present and funky in Studio A but your guitars sound like they're standing 10 ft behind the drums and the vocals sound like another 10 ft behind the guitars in a vast hall - so the overall effect is more of a blend of disparate overdubs rather than an ensemble playing together.

hope this helps.

Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
(09-12-2016, 04:36 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Love your bass-line. Very funky and works well with the kick so that the bottom end is nicely balanced. Your snare is also nice and clear which means that overall your mix grooves along nicely.

The thing that worries me is that it sounds like your vocals, guitars and rhythm sections each have their own, very different ambiences. The rhythm section is present and funky in Studio A but your guitars sound like they're standing 10 ft behind the drums and the vocals sound like another 10 ft behind the guitars in a vast hall - so the overall effect is more of a blend of disparate overdubs rather than an ensemble playing together.

hope this helps.

Cheers, Simon

Hi Simon,
Thank you very much for listening.
You are right. I tried to make a coherent scene but I exaggerated in reverb specially in guitars and I realy put backing vocals in a large hall.
Here is my review...tell me what you think. Cool
Cheers

.mp3    Funky to the bone (reverb review).mp3 --  (Download: 13.8 MB)

Much better. Guitars sound more natural and sit better with rhythm section. Vocals sound better too.

I still think that the "funky, funky funky to the bone" sounds a little bit distant, but the reply "Right on" is much more present so overall the contrast between call and reply is much more believable.

Good Job
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
I agree, it sounds much better with less reverb :p !

Things that could be better imho:
-Solos (slide and final one) are still way too wet for me, i'd like to hear more of the natural sound since it's really good at the source !
-Kick is masked by the bass.
-The HiHat is too much upfront and distracting.
-Could benefit a bit more bass and air overall.

Take care !
Mixing with a dt770 for now..