Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Escape: 'Roots Of Mankind' kapu mix
I do mix too. No automation and very few space sound.

.m4a    perpetual_escape-_rutes_of_mankynde_kapu_mix3.m4a --  (Download: 14.24 MB)

Hello

*I hear bottom snare track poking out within the snare sound in the intro. go easy on it or perhaps compress it.
*Interesting balance with the guitars on each side. One rhythm and the other one lead. However I fell the Left side is louder than the right side. for example at around 2:45.
*Guitar tones aren't all bad but in my opinion a bit less air would be beneficial so the ear is not so fatigued after hearing your mix.
*Solo could be louder.
*Vocals get a lil bit lost with the guitars. try more volume or better.. automation in the more intense parts.

Keep it up is getting there Smile
(04-12-2016, 10:26 PM)Shul Wrote: Hello

*I hear bottom snare ...

Keep it up is getting there Smile

Tank you for feedback! I dullified the guitars and updated the file. I'm too lazy to make other improvements at the moment. ^_^
Sounds absolutely great to me.

I just can't figure out how you manage to make it so punchy and loud at the same time. THere must be pretty good dynamics control in your mix as it still breathes very nicely. If I try to make those couple last decibels to my mix, there disappears too much of the sonical nuance I have hopefully manged to create.
(05-12-2016, 05:27 PM)Olli H Wrote: Sounds absolutely great ...

Thanks. I wish there were one simple answer, but for me the main part is to use 1176-style compression driven to clipping distortion on almost everything. Or the same idea but with LA2A-style compression. For individual drums, on 1176-style plugin interface, attack slowest, release fastest, ratio 4 or 8, and then crank up input drive so that it really makes the track snap or bang, and then drive the signal against clipping distortion to a point where it clearly becomes distorted, and the back off a few dBs to get it clean again. Then insert eq in front of this chain, try to clean the sound by cutting away unwanted stuff and readjust the comp and distortion. Repeat this process endlessly everywhere. 1176-style compression for percussive stuff, and LA2A everything else. Every EQ will do, and every soft/hard/clipping distortion will do.

But I have to warn you, this isn't a way to become a great sound engineer, it's a way to become a hired sound engineer. ^_^
(05-12-2016, 07:31 PM)kapu Wrote:
(05-12-2016, 05:27 PM)Olli H Wrote: Sounds absolutely great ...

But I have to warn you, this isn't a way to become a great sound engineer, it's a way to become a hired sound engineer. ^_^

Lol yeah.. I really don't see how artist want loudness over dynamics to the point where you forcibly have to smash that limited. Good advice. Having said that I'm glad iTunes is setting a loudness standard for all songs... This will help the engineers who prefer dynamics over loudness.
Hi there ! Thank you for mixing our music ! I'm Perpetual Escape's drummer.

I'm listening while I'm writing my comments. First verse is great ! The L and R guitars are a bit disturbing and masks a bit the vocals, but nothing some automation can't fix.
The main snare is the best I've head here so far. I'm not happy of the sound we got after recording, so I used samples a lot in my mixes. The snare side is maybe a bit too loud, but it's just my taste.
I like the tone of the guitars. Well done !

The bass is a bit buried behind the kick and the guitars. Some low cut on the guitars will probably help.

Love my kick on your mix ! It's very punchy and fat ! Great job once again ! The rhythm guitars in the outro are a bit loud and too much distractive for the vocals. Some automation will make them a bit more consistent in volume.

PS: don't forget to edit the far far far end of the tracks, the bassist just retracked the second verse Wink
Congrats man ! Well done Smile
Thanks for the feedback. Started working on a new version and uploaded a draft mix at (my system and ears) reference level, and then maxed out loud version. Lot's of things to work on with the new mix, triggers misfiring etc, but at least on my workflow maximizing the loudness doesn't have too much negative impact on the sound, imho anyways. ^_^
Sounds great on my monitors ,clean and punchy to me my favourite version so far !

Well Done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(07-12-2016, 11:14 AM)thedon Wrote: Sounds great on my monitors ...

Thanks! Uploaded version 2 which also sound very nice! ^_^