Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roots of Mankind (REV 1)
I have to admit this one was very tricky.

Here is my first mix. I was looking for a big and full sound though I'm not 100% sure about some vocal processing s (follow the light). I will have to check on that later on.
I Replace the Kick as there were some inconsistencies in the double hits. Kick has some reverb to match better with rest of the kit. Other than that all drums are from the tracks. It was tricky to fit.. also I could have tried some delay and reverb on the toms to create a tail for them but as it is right now sounds okay to me.

Let me know what you think.

P.s. Mike Senior mentioned there would be more from this band in the future. Looking forward to mix some more of their material Big Grin

UPDATE:I placed a snare sample to support the original. This one sounds wider and more alive. I also boosted the reverb.. could be a bad desicion but I think it works good like it is.
I did a lot of automation on volume and plugins and played with the dynamics of guitars kick and vocals. Also some fx.
I changed the mastering plugins to less compression so the overall dynamics in the song are not swallowed.
I also re arranged vocals and did heavy compression here and there. I still don't know how to make the (follow the light) sound good with that fx, perhaps leaving it simple will sound better?

anyways Hope you like this version better. It sounds a lot better from my perspective.

.mp3    RootsOfMankind.mp3 --  (Download: 13.51 MB)

.mp3    RootsOfMankindREV1.mp3 --  (Download: 13.51 MB)

Hi Shul !

Thank you for mixing our songs Smile I'm Perpetual Escape's drummer, and I also mixed the album.
Yep, there will be more songs, and some big challenge Wink I can't tell more for now, you will see within the next months.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on your mix:

You mix is pretty nicely balanced. Your guitars sound very rock and powerful. I love how you balanced the kick and the bass together. They give a strong and tight low end, nice job ! Which sample did you use on the kick ?
I love the tone of your toms ! Maybe a bit too much reverb on them but you got the spirit Smile
The hi hat and OHs are pretty smooth, I like that too.

To me you only have few things to fix : vocals sound inconsistant in volume : the go back and forth and it's quite disturbing. I think you can compress them more so they will sit better in the mix. Your snare (I mean mine :p ) sounds well, but does not really fit for this king of music. I think you can use a sample to enhanced it.
Finally some guitars sound a bit disconnected with the other instruments. They jump out of the mix sometimes. They masks the last vocals in the outro.

A nice job Shul ! Thank you !
(04-12-2016, 11:21 AM)Mandubien Wrote: Yep, there will be more songs, and some big challenge Wink I can't tell more for now, you will see within the next months.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on your mix:

Which sample did you use on the kick ?

vocals sound inconsistant in volume

Your snare (I mean mine :p ) sounds well, but does not really fit for this king of music. I think you can use a sample to enhanced it.

Finally some guitars sound a bit disconnected with the other
instruments. They jump out of the mix sometimes. They masks the last vocals in the outro.

Thank you very much for the contribution to the site and thanks for your feedback. Is always good to hear from the artists. Looking forward to mix more of your bands songs.

I mixed on headphones at the end of the project because it was very late at night and everyone in my house was sleeping. Now that I hear the mix in my monitors I see the differences in volumes between the vocals. I shall look in to it.

The sample I used is Acoustic Kick C1 18 from logic 9 library

Let me do some automation overall in the project to check that guitar issue. and I will add a snare sample to give it a more agressive and fat sound on the snare.

I shall post the revision later.

P.S. I went for the Foofighters pretender drumsound .. I think my choice for snare sound was bad haha.

UPDATE:I placed a snare sample to support the original. This one sounds wider and more alive. I also boosted the reverb.. could be a bad desicion but I think it works good like it is.
I did a lot of automation on volume and plugins and played with the dynamics of guitars kick and vocals. Also some fx.
I changed the mastering plugins to less compression so the overall dynamics in the song are not swallowed.
I also re arranged vocals and did heavy compression here and there. I still don't know how to make the (follow the light) sound good with that fx, perhaps leaving it simple will sound better?

anyways Hope you like this version better. It sounds a lot better from my perspective.

I listened the REV1
To me it’s sounds pretty good. Balances feel very good to me, both instrument and frequency..
I like the natural drum sound. But is the kick too dry versus the spaciousness of snare. Maybe that’s not a real problem at all.
(06-12-2016, 04:27 PM)Olli H Wrote: I listened the REV1
To me it’s sounds pretty good. Balances feel very good to me, both instrument and frequency..
I like the natural drum sound. But is the kick too dry versus the spaciousness of snare. Maybe that’s not a real problem at all.

Now that you mention it it does sound separate from the snare. I shall lower the snare reverb to match more with the kick.

thanks for the feedback
Hi Shul !

Rev1 sounds better Wink Guitars are well placed and sound tight with other instruments.
As Olli said, the snare reverb is distracting. It has a resonance in the hi mids which is irritating. I think a warmer reverb would suits better.
Otherwise, I really like your mix ! Very good job !
Hi Shul ,
listening to your latest mix ,sounds pretty well balanced.
Can hear some low frequency build up and competing for space and draining some headroom from the mix.
all those guitars below 200hz and mainly the bass guitar in the verse not sure if it is a C# or Db chord that has some nasty resonating frequencies 130-200hz area clashing with the guitars.
Here is an inspiring clip you may have already have seen about not being shy about radical eq adjustments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmMLZ3qQjTQ

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(04-12-2016, 10:05 AM)Shul Wrote: I have to admit this one was very tricky.

Here is my first mix. I was looking for a big and full sound though I'm not 100% sure about some vocal processing s (follow the light). I will have to check on that later on.
I Replace the Kick as there were some inconsistencies in the double hits. Kick has some reverb to match better with rest of the kit. Other than that all drums are from the tracks. It was tricky to fit.. also I could have tried some delay and reverb on the toms to create a tail for them but as it is right now sounds okay to me.

Let me know what you think.

P.s. Mike Senior mentioned there would be more from this band in the future. Looking forward to mix some more of their material Big Grin

REV1 sounds great! Good Job!
(24-12-2016, 06:19 PM)Andreas Tyranopoulos Wrote: REV1 sounds great! Good Job!

Thanks Smile