Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roots Of Mankind
Love this track. Although frustrating at times, it was fun messing with so many guitars (not my strong point). Influenced by Slayer, Rush, and Prong.  Thanks for posting! I want MORE from this band! Feed my addiction!

V2: Came back to this after working other projects. Less crispy, less guitars, more tone.

.mp3    Perpetual Escape - Roots Of Mankind.mp3 --  (Download: 13.39 MB)

.mp3    Perpetual Escape - Roots Of Mankind V2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.38 MB)

Hello

*The overhead track is bad in the recording. On yours I feel the weight of it on the left. I would push it to the right so it evens out in the center. After a while is ear fatiguing
*Kick sample you used I feel doesn't go with the rest of the kit. Feel free to ignore as this is personal taste and preference.
*I like what you did whit the girl's voice Smile
*Something odd about the guitars.. becareful when it comes to choosing which track recorded with which microphone. It could be the overhead messing with my ears.. or it could be that you selected different mics for the tracks and is sounding very odd..

Overall balance is good but definitely need to fix that overhead. Keep it up!!
(04-12-2016, 07:12 AM)Houndface Wrote: Thanks for posting! I want MORE from this band! Feed my addiction!

You're in luck then -- should be several more songs of theirs uploaded during the coming months. Smile

Hi Houndface !

Thank you for mixing our song Smile I'm their drummer and I mixed the album 'Into My Dreams'.

Here's my feedback.

The overall EQ is very mid rangy. Balanced though. It fits well for the guitars which sound very punch in your mix, but I feel like I'm listening on an old TV :p
The kick and the floor tom 2 sound more in front than the rest of the drums.

Each tracks is well balanced, but there is too much reverb to me, especially on drums. It's quite distractive. But while I'm listening on the outro, I love how you processed the lead guitar Smile The FX you used is fantastic and give a very cool vibe ! Nice job !

Besides the kick, I really like your drum tone. The second snare sounds fantastic, and the toms as well. The main snare fits well in your mix.

One last thing I noticed : your mix is very centered, especially during the choruses. You probably could review your pans for the guitars to open it up.

Nice job !

(04-12-2016, 07:52 AM)Shul Wrote: Hello

*The overhead track is bad in the recording. On yours I feel the weight of it on the left. I would push it to the right so it evens out in the center. After a while is ear fatiguing
*Kick sample you used I feel doesn't go with the rest of the kit. Feel free to ignore as this is personal taste and preference.
*I like what you did whit the girl's voice Smile
*Something odd about the guitars.. becareful when it comes to choosing which track recorded with which microphone. It could be the overhead messing with my ears.. or it could be that you selected different mics for the tracks and is sounding very odd..

Overall balance is good but definitely need to fix that overhead. Keep it up!!

Hi Shul,
Thank you for your feedback. I agree with the overheads, seemed there was to much snare and not enough hats and ride but I think what your hearing may be the snare in the HH track (HH slight left pan). It was tough to get a good balance, I added in a ride sample on a few sections to try to balance the hats/ride with the OH's, it seemed pushing the OH's to hear the ride and hats revealed way to much of everything else. As for guitars, I just now opened a separate session to play with balance and EQ etc. May wind up removing a bunch of duplicates and start from the ground up. This is certainly a great learning tool!
(04-12-2016, 11:34 AM)Mandubien Wrote: Hi Houndface !

Thank you for mixing our song Smile I'm their drummer and I mixed the album 'Into My Dreams'.

Here's my feedback.

The overall EQ is very mid rangy. Balanced though. It fits well for the guitars which sound very punch in your mix, but I feel like I'm listening on an old TV :p
The kick and the floor tom 2 sound more in front than the rest of the drums.

Each tracks is well balanced, but there is too much reverb to me, especially on drums. It's quite distractive. But while I'm listening on the outro, I love how you processed the lead guitar Smile The FX you used is fantastic and give a very cool vibe ! Nice job !

Besides the kick, I really like your drum tone. The second snare sounds fantastic, and the toms as well. The main snare fits well in your mix.

One last thing I noticed : your mix is very centered, especially during the choruses. You probably could review your pans for the guitars to open it up.

Nice job !

Hi Mandubien,
Thanks for the feedback and the opportunity to mix a great track! I hear what your saying about the midrange, I actually gave it a small bump when I was finalizing it all, could probably do away with it. As for the reverb, I think I got a little carried away. I just picked up BX RooMS new verb plugin and still getting used to it, maybe I should go with a more modern sounding verb. I'm also interested in what type of kick tone your looking for. I cycled through 5-6 samples to blend and landed on the current one witch may be to much beef for some. I have probably over a hundred more samples but didn't want to get bogged down in all that. I've opened a second project to experiment with the guitars and making radical moves to see what happens. Again, Thanks! I Cant wait to get my hands on more!