Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temporary Happiness - Olli H
Just a basic mix. For reference I listend some Aretha Franklin.

EDIT: latest version in post #6

.mp3    Temporary-Happiness-Olli-H-2016-12-03-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 11.31 MB)

Fantastic,just slightly more automation on vocals but nothing to worry about imo,thanks for sharing your mix.
Sounds good.
The bass and drums are full sounding. The rhythm section feels very Motown.

I feel like the vocal could come up a hair. At least in the verses. It sits fine in the chorus.
The horns lean to the right a bit. It feels like a horn section but might be a little loud at times. I think this song really could use them brought back during the verse. It'd give more room to the vocal and make the chorus a little bigger when they come up.

Other than that it feels right.
Good work.
Sounds great , the bass and drums sound great,taming some top end frequencies on the horns or spread evenly left and right may sit better in the mix ?
the vocals could come up a touch or more Automation which is what I have to work on.
Awesome work Wink
Another "Olli" full spectrum sounding mix.

As mentioned, there's just that balance issue that I'm also hearing between the main vox, the backing vox and the horns. Maybe look at giving the main vox some extra weight as apposed to just more volume.

I think this might be the most challenging part of working with this mix, especially the backing vox which struggles for space and is easily left sounding a little lost behind that strong brass section when it emerges.

I'm sure you'll work through it.

Dave
THanks for all comments, good points.

In new version:
- vox more even, maybe louder
- bg-vox more compressed and more even
- bright trumpet more in center
- I added eq to some and compression to all horn tracks (previously I had none, only some processing in horns buss)

.mp3    Temporary-Happiness-Olli-H-2016-12-05-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 11.31 MB)

Great mix (version in #6) ! Full sounding, good overall balance and great definition on the guitars.
For nit-picking, I can hear some boxiness around 200Hz, and the sides (stereo) are a bit "busy" (some LF resonance).
Just a matter of taste.
Good job
Erick
Thanks,
I can't hear the 200 hz problem, so I dare not try to fix it. But I do remember that I "warmed up" the sides with low mid boost. Maybe that's causing the problem you hear.
i liked the vocal sound and volume better in first mix. Also the vocal slap sound like it's too loud in second mix. Probably due to the vocal being louder altogether.

Otherwise latter mix is great.
Thanks, new listen with fresh ears, I agree that vox is a bit too loud now, and maybe also could have more depth.