Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Jokers Jacks Kings: Sea Of Leaves - JoshuaCove Mix
Hello! This was a fun mix. Everything was fairly well recorded so it made the process a bit easier. Let me know what you think and please rate and comment!

EDIT
So I've brought up the guitars a bit and helped out the vocals with some automation. I also dropped a bit of bottom from the snare, it was just bothering me and I think the crack is better now.

EDIT 2.0
Roy, I also felt it was a bit dark and was on the fence about giving it more top end. So I tried out the Massive Passive from UAD - easily one of my favorite EQs ever - and gave it just the slightest bit of sweet, sweet high end.

.mp3    Jokers Jacks Kings - Sea of Leaves JoshuaCove Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.28 MB)

.mp3    Jokers Jacks Kings - Sea of Leaves 1_2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.28 MB)

.mp3    Jokers Jacks Kings - Sea of Leaves 1_3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.28 MB)

Hi Josh... I've only taken a quick listen on my little, somewhat lo-fi 2.1 computer speaker system at work, so I can't comment in great detail on the frequency balances etc. at this point in time. However, one thing is really clear - Your vocals are much too low in the balance. Turning them up in comparison with the music would be a good start. I'll try to have another listen at home on my studio system.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
I like the mix..

One issue though is the vocals get masked alot.. more volume will help here.
The drums sound bigger than the guitars and they should either be even our louder than drums.

Other than that good job!
Version 2 sounds pretty good. Overall it feels a little dark. I think a little high end "mastering" boost would open it up a bit.

Definitely better balance man.. I like it Smile))
Again, just listening on small 2.1 speakers (haven't had a chance to listen at home), but this is night and day with the first mix! - sounds very good from here... I'll try to give it a more detailed listen tonight.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Having another listen on my studio speakers - sounding great! I really like the contrast between the verse and chorus vocals - the change in ambience treatment just tops things of nicely.

Any criticism I have would probably be just personal taste at this point... The bass is lovely and full in the low end, but I think I would prefer more clarity in the top end of the bass, as the bass riff is a pretty important hook around which the song is centred. That said, your treatment works perfectly well. Top job!
Your mix sounds good down the middle but the sides are not separated very well. Everything can't be wide, there is nothing to contrast it with.