Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apprehended: 'Still Flyin'' (instrumental mix)
Hello,

I gave it a quick try :p.

Let me know what you think !

Edit: updated.

.mp3    The Apprehended \'Still Flyin\'\'-001.mp3 --  (Download: 10.99 MB)

Mixing with a dt770 for now..
If you would listen to the original mix the band has provided and use that one as a ref mix, you would instantly know that your lead guitars are not in sync with the song. to be more clear: they are at the wrong place. this mix is unlistenable with so much stuff at the wrong place. sorry mate.
(14-11-2016, 11:07 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: If you would listen to the original mix the band has provided and use that one as a ref mix, you would instantly know that your lead guitars are not in sync with the song. to be more clear: they are at the wrong place. this mix is unlistenable with so much stuff at the wrong place. sorry mate.
Hey !

Thanks for your comment,
I hope this is fixed, but it would be easier if the tracks were synced at the first place ^^ (or a sync noise).
Btw i prefere mixing without ref mix.
Mixing without a reference mix is like painting a portrait in the dark. It can be cool but most of the times it's not what the client wants. There is a reason why a lot of the good mixers use ref mixes just to make sure they are in the right ballpark. And the problems with parts beeing out of sync in your mix is the perfect example why you should mix with a ref track / pre-production mix / rough mix if you are not the recording engineer Smile
I see your point :p, but here the aim was just training and trying new things (for me at least) so i try not to be too much influenced by ref or others mix.

But deffinitely you are right !
Take care =)
Hello

*Kick has a lil too much click making it sound a bit thin with everything else.
*Bass is very prominent in comparison with the Rhythm guitars.
*The tones on the lead guitars are good.
*Balances for the most part are good but that will cange once you put the voice in. Are you planning on that anytime soon? that will definitely be a challenge.
*There are some weird guitar noises at 1:10 that need to be muted.
*I would have liked a bit more mids overall between the drums and rhythm guitars. After a while your ear gets a lil weird.

good job keep it up. It's a hard mix.
Hello,

Thanks for listening Smile !

I made another version with louder rythm guitars and a fuller kick.

I dont plan on puting the vocals in soon, because they really are not my cup of tea :p

.mp3    The Apprehended \'Still Flyin\'\'-004.mp3 --  (Download: 10.38 MB)

I hear you.. the vocals are a challenge

Sounds much better!. Bass is smoother and the kick is fuller however I still think the click would be less because they still poke out a lil.
Snare is souding a bit dry when the instrumental drops at 2:58. I mean at the very end it all comes down to preference. If you were to be hired by a band they will tell you the last final touches for it.
Overall the mix has a deeper fuller feel to it and definitely an improvement over the first.

Keep it up.
(16-11-2016, 08:29 AM)Shul Wrote: I hear you.. the vocals are a challenge

Sounds much better!. Bass is smoother and the kick is fuller however I still think the click would be less because they still poke out a lil.
Snare is souding a bit dry when the instrumental drops at 2:58. I mean at the very end it all comes down to preference. If you were to be hired by a band they will tell you the last final touches for it.
Overall the mix has a deeper fuller feel to it and definitely an improvement over the first.

Keep it up.

Thanks Big Grin !

I'll mix some other things and stay away from it for a time before i try adding the vocals.
That was my 1st mix in this style and i'm not 100% satisfied with it anyways.
I feel like i need to practice and learn more before i go back to it.