Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colour Me Red - my mix
Hey all,
great discussion zone! Looking forward to contribute more here in the near future...
Lots of interesting mixing ideas here, for me the main thing upfront was to decide where to go with this song. Some went for a more acoustic style, which i personally would love to as well, but something in Diesel´s four or five "HUUUAAAARRRGHHH!´s :-) told me this should be more of an ass kickin rock n roll track, so i went and tried my best...

Thanks to Diesel13 and Joe Lonsdale for providing this great production and of course to Mike for this great site and the hard work critiquing all these mixes!
Cheers, Herb

-------

Updated Version 2: Cleaned up the chorus section a bit (hopefully), also the banjo is featured throughout the song in the instrumental parts. Not sure if this is everybody´s cup of tea but i love banjos :-) and wanted to hear it more often, so i stick with it...
So for critique please use V2.

-------

third and final contest-version V3 added below.

.mp3    Colour me red - HF Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.94 MB)

.mp3    Colour me red - HF Master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.94 MB)

.mp3    Colour me red - HF Master 3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.94 MB)

Sounds great to me

Vox sound has nice attitude.

I like those distorted delays in chorus.

Electric guitar has quite much some mid rangy energy that starts to bring in fatique.

Chorus is a bit chaotic, but I’m not sure if it’s a problem at all.
Thanks for your comment Olli, you´re probably right, I could have a closer look at the electrics...
This is an odd one. I really like your content but I think the general space you placed it in makes it hang in an environment I do not think works well for the genre of the song or your mix of it. Too big, me thinks. Some of the effects on your vocal may be interesting but you seem a bit timid with them. I'd say be bolder. Good ideas so go for it.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(17-11-2016, 04:12 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: This is an odd one. I really like your content but I think the general space you placed it in makes it hang in an environment I do not think works well for the genre of the song or your mix of it. Too big, me thinks. Some of the effects on your vocal may be interesting but you seem a bit timid with them. I'd say be bolder. Good ideas so go for it.

Thanks for the encouragement! You maybe perfectly right when you suggest to be bolder. Sometimes it´s hard to say when to be bold and when to be subtle, guess that has a lot to do with experience...
So in terms of the "space thing" you tell me i´ve been too bold? :-)
Wanted to steer that thing in a more modern rock direction, maybe i went a bit overboard...

Thanks anyway, appreciate that!
(18-11-2016, 12:06 AM)Herb Felho Wrote:
(17-11-2016, 04:12 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: This is an odd one. I really like your content but I think the general space you placed it in makes it hang in an environment I do not think works well for the genre of the song or your mix of it. Too big, me thinks. Some of the effects on your vocal may be interesting but you seem a bit timid with them. I'd say be bolder. Good ideas so go for it.

Thanks for the encouragement! You maybe perfectly right when you suggest to be bolder. Sometimes it´s hard to say when to be bold and when to be subtle, guess that has a lot to do with experience...
So in terms of the "space thing" you tell me i´ve been too bold? :-)
Wanted to steer that thing in a more modern rock direction, maybe i went a bit overboard...

Thanks anyway, appreciate that!

My bolder statement was about some of the special effects you threw into the mix. Did you realize those effects completely the way you heard them in your head? I kind of got a 'let me try this and see how it sounds' which I do a lot of too. I just get the feeling you didn't quite finish your thought, so to speak. But I heard germs of some good ideas. As for the more modern rock feel you were going for, I think you got it.

The second mix is sonically excellent, and I dig the way you layered the guitars. I still don't quite get the special effects on the lead during the chorus.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(11-11-2016, 12:41 PM)Herb Felho Wrote: Some went for a more acoustic style, which i personally would love to as well, but something in Diesel´s four or five "HUUUAAAARRRGHHH!´s :-) told me this should be more of an ass kickin rock n roll track, so i went and tried my best...

Would tend to agree!

Generally a very solid mix.

A few thoughts (and more taste/style than anything):

The lead vocal sounds a little separated from the track. Not sure either on the chorus fx either. Interesting, and well done on a technical level, but doesn't seem to suite this particular track. On the other hand, the background vocals are very nicely done. Those have a particular attitude that suites the track.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Jeff
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
Mixinthecloud, i really like how you analyze the mixes here from a more psychological point of view. Often times that´s exactly what a mixer needs to hear as an advice since in this business there´s so many things that can distract from what really matters when fiddling around forever. I think you caught me on that one, i dialed in some of the echo effects real quickly for example, kinda liked it and went on to the next thing. I could have spent more time here for sure and really "finish my thoughts" like you expressed it.
Hope my english could transmit what i wanted to say here, not always easy for me...
Thanks mate!
(18-11-2016, 01:59 AM)jeffd42 Wrote:
(11-11-2016, 12:41 PM)Herb Felho Wrote: Some went for a more acoustic style, which i personally would love to as well, but something in Diesel´s four or five "HUUUAAAARRRGHHH!´s :-) told me this should be more of an ass kickin rock n roll track, so i went and tried my best...

Would tend to agree!

Generally a very solid mix.

A few thoughts (and more taste/style than anything):

The lead vocal sounds a little separated from the track. Not sure either on the chorus fx either. Interesting, and well done on a technical level, but doesn't seem to suite this particular track. On the other hand, the background vocals are very nicely done. Those have a particular attitude that suites the track.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Jeff

Thanks Jeff, that helps for sure, I´m grateful for every comment here. I´ll definitely work on some of the points you made.
(11-11-2016, 12:41 PM)Herb Felho Wrote: Hey all,
great discussion zone! Looking forward to contribute more here in the near future...
Lots of interesting mixing ideas here, for me the main thing upfront was to decide where to go with this song. Some went for a more acoustic style, which i personally would love to as well, but something in Diesel´s four or five "HUUUAAAARRRGHHH!´s :-) told me this should be more of an ass kickin rock n roll track, so i went and tried my best...

Thanks to Diesel13 and Joe Lonsdale for providing this great production and of course to Mike for this great site and the hard work critiquing all these mixes!
Cheers, Herb

-------

Updated Version 2: Cleaned up the chorus section a bit (hopefully), also the banjo is featured throughout the song in the instrumental parts. Not sure if this is everybody´s cup of tea but i love banjos :-) and wanted to hear it more often, so i stick with it...
So for critique please use V2.

Hi Herb,

I agree, this is definitely a kick ass rock tune and I think your mix captures that. The mix is aggressive and upfront. Sounds solid. This might have to do with my particular monitors but I hear a couple harsh resonances on a couple words in the vocals. Particularly the first time he says "Red" and stretches the word out. I had to automate an EQ cut on my mix around 3500hz on a couple parts, but like I said, might be my setup. Nice mix!

Dave