Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burning Bridges - First Mix
UPDATE: Rev3 has been uploaded as a 256k file. It is an exact copy of Rev2 (now deleted) besides for the higher quality

Hi All,

I'd appreciate you taking a listen and giving me any feedback you can!
I am a live sound engineer who has spent the better part of a decade in the classic rock and country scene. Obviously that puts this a little out of my element, but I really liked the song. I'm transitioning into doing more and more studio related work, so I am constantly trying to keep my ears fresh.
This is my first ever metal mix, so obviously I've got a lot to learn. I welcome, and look forward to, your feedback!

Thanks!

.mp3    Burning Bridges (mp3-Post).mp3 --  (Download: 6.93 MB)

.mp3    Rev3 Burning Bridges (mp3).mp3 --  (Download: 6.81 MB)

Just some quick comments.
It sounds good but it's pretty compressed and restrained. And the vocal is buried and can come up but I think that's separate from the compression issue.
I would reduce the lower mid mudd, the vocals are buried beneath a wall of guitar Smile
(10-11-2016, 04:56 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Just some quick comments.
It sounds good but it's pretty compressed and restrained. And the vocal is buried and can come up but I think that's separate from the compression issue.

Thanks for the feedback! I uploaded an updated version.
(10-11-2016, 03:01 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: I would reduce the lower mid mudd, the vocals are buried beneath a wall of guitar Smile

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know what the hell I was thinking with the vocal level... It's so obvious after I've been away from it for two days. As for the low-mid muddiness, I tried to clean that up a bit too in the new Rev2 file I uploaded...
Thanks!
I hate to be annoying but the 2nd version is half the resolution of the first version so it's difficult to judge. Could you upload a higher quality version? Then it's be easier to evaluate.

That said the mix definitely feels better. The bass guitar may be a little loud, at least in the mids/upper mids "pick" area. It sounds good but it's such a busy bass part it distracts from the vocal. I'd consider riding the upper end bass in the verses.

(10-11-2016, 08:42 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I hate to be annoying but the 2nd version is half the resolution of the first version so it's difficult to judge. Could you upload a higher quality version? Then it's be easier to evaluate.

That said the mix definitely feels better. The bass guitar may be a little loud, at least in the mids/upper mids "pick" area. It sounds good but it's such a busy bass part it distracts from the vocal. I'd consider riding the upper end bass in the verses.

Not annoying at all. I didn't even notice that I made that mistake until I uploaded the file... I'll upload another 256kbps one in a few hours...
To me, the bass part needed a little more upper midrange, but I probably overdid it a little. I'll definitely give it another listen and make a few tweaks.
To be fair, from what I could tell, the bass sounds pretty good and especially fitting for the song. It just distracted from the vox. Maybe it won't even be an issue after hearing the 256k version.
(10-11-2016, 09:00 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: To be fair, from what I could tell, the bass sounds pretty good and especially fitting for the song. It just distracted from the vox. Maybe it won't even be an issue after hearing the 256k version.

Just posted a 256k version. It is the exact same mix as Rev2 for now.
I think the mix sounds great.
On listening to the hi-rez version I think that the bass is fine and that the vocal could come up a hair. Maybe. I can make out all the words so I'm not sure. I'm on the fence about the vocals. They have a bit of "fuzziness" which I like but it may be too much. This is probably just a matter of taste, though.

I'm not sure if I'm hearing right or not but it feels like something happens on the "Bs" on the last line of the chorus. Definitely at the end of the first chorus at about 0:46. I can't tell if it's a plosive or something like that.

That's the only thing that jumps out at me.

Good job.