Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DopplerShift-Atrophy by LeZlee (A MIX FULL OF EXPERIMENTS!)
Hi everyone!

This is a mix that i worked on the most recently...it`s full of new approaches, insprirations. Let`s start:

Drums : There`s a special (weird Big Grin) reverb on the snare drum : I`ve send the snare to a reverb unit -that has been HP and LP (so only mids reverbing), added a Parametric EQ with a very narrow Q boosting in the middle (around 12-15 dB) and automated the frequency controller so it`s a kind of AutoWah reverb Big Grin the whole "thing" is then narrowed to a mono track and panned beetwen hard L and C. It`s very subtle, i definetly didn`t want it to be heard.
In the bridge before the end - i throwed a big hall on the drums

Bass : The bass was parallel processed thru a distortion unit (just to add a slight drive to it ), and a bit off compression. The bass was erased from the Bridge, to make a bit bigger tension before the last chorus

Guitars : The guitars (chorus) sounded very very very weak to me, so i`ve picked my favourite overdrive and DRIVE YA! Big Grin

Vocal : The vocal is horrible. It has some kind of distortion or overload in the mids (300 - 1 Khz) I was trying to cut it out, but then the vocal was very thin, so i`ve decided to make a compromise and cut it less. Vocal riding was necessary, and i`ve added a parallel, distorted bandpassed vocal to the chorus - to compete with the driven guitars.

I`ve used a reverb called Ambience , just to add a slight ambience to the dry signal and then i`ve sended the vocal to a Delay with compressor on it sidechaining from the vocal. So as the vocals hits, there`s no or very little delay, and as soon as it leaves the delay opens.

I`ve also added a reverse effect to the intro (becouse the beggining, when the band starts sounded too harsh to me Smile )
ALL THESE THINGS ARE VERY SUBTLE! I`m sure that you`ll not hear some of the delays i mentioned, but that`s it! I just wanted some subtle changes, not BLOW IT IN MY FACE Big Grin

The whole stereo bounce was than Mastered (cleaned up, Eq, Comp., Saturation units, Limited)

.mp3    DopplerShift-Atrophy.mp3 --  (Download: 12.1 MB)

Hey there !

What a huuuuuuge mix !
Beautiful and powerful drum kit ...
Everything sits in its place. It's really well done.
The only point I don't totally agree with is the overall compression, maybe a little too much for me... But it suits the style of music !

Great job !
Wow! This is an impressive mix! The swirling pads at the start and the reverse cymbal intro are an inspired bit of production, and the whole mix is really huge!
I can hear the snare effect you describe, subtle and interesting, and the changes in type of reverb throughout the progression of the song keeps things aurally exciting.

You have obviously spent a fair bit of time on, and consideration of, the development of the mix over time.
Very well done!

Dags
So many songs, so little time!