Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My view of blue...
The next candidate for whipping Confused
As I said it is my version of this beautiful song. I hope that this try will not be received as a destruction... Rolleyes

.m4a    Patrick Talbot - Blue 1 Master Jazzy Clean.m4a --  (Download: 10.6 MB)

Sounds nice ficorax. I like the warmer tones and the offset bass in the beginning works well.
I'm just wondering if the drums are stealing the show a little when they come in. Maybe a smaller stereo image for the drums would work here and give the other elements the space you have made for them. Some volume automation could also help create interest and extra life within the piece.

An enjoyable listen regardless.

Dave
Thanks Dave for opinion.
I must say that I am very beginner in the subject of mixing. I still forget about pauses and distance to the sound.
For sure I have to start prepare really good sound conditions (room, monitors etc.) and learn, and train, and...

Marek

p.s. second version in attachment Cool

.m4a    Patrick Talbot - Blue 2 master.m4a --  (Download: 10.6 MB)

Hey Marek, good take on this! I'm listening at v2 and I like the tones in general. Good job on this.

I think the stripped down first verse works well, except that the bass is perhaps a little bit too loud, and that's true for the whole mix. I like the sound and tone of it, but I think it would work better with a good 3db less.

When the drums come in, the change of perspective (the guitar mostly) is a bit jarring, suddenly they sound like they are miles away (because of the added verb) when they were quite close before. I wonder if you couldn't make the transition less obvious, actually, I don't think you need to push the guitar that far back, or perhaps if you do, do it more gradually perhaps?

A small nitpick, but mixing is also about small details: the entry of the bgvs at 0:40 is a bit too strong IMHO, I remember that I did a little fade in for that part.

Overall, well done! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thank you Patrick for hints.
3rd and last my version Rolleyes

.m4a    Patrick Talbot - Blue 3 master.m4a --  (Download: 10.6 MB)

Sounds better Marek!
Now I just find the vocal at the start to be too loud. I think it's a simple case of broad automation.
I think you've set them right for the rest of the song, but during that intro they could go down a few dbs...
Anyway, it sounds pretty good now apart from that. Good job! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here