Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - Blue - Lucas Vincent MTSU Mix
I made this mix for my RIM 4600 Mixing class at Middle Tennessee State University.

.mp3    Vincent_Lab3_Blue.mp3 --  (Download: 9.98 MB)

Sounds good.

The kick is a little too dominant for a delicate song like this. Ironically an eq cut in the area where it has most of it's punch might make it more fitting to a jazz tune. It also pops out in the sides of the image for some reason. Maybe there's just too much low end in the room mics or overheads.

I like the guitar delay but it could be quieter or have a different, thinner tone to clean up the mix. Maybe just in the verses. It might be ok in the chorus to have a little more going on.

I could use a little more vocals overall. Just a hair.

It all works. Any issues I can hear are slight and there's no real problems.

Good job
Really clean sounding mix you've got there, sounds like you're in the room during the performance! As Roy mentioned the kick is quite forward but it's not exactly a huge issue. Can't really hear anything bad about it, good work!

Cheers and good luck with your class,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Roy, thanks for the feedback! I'm a drummer, so I tend to mix drums a little too hot. I also primarily do rock music, so I can be a little heavy handed on songs like this one. I'll have to make a revision eventually that's a little more genre suitable!
(08-11-2016, 05:14 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Really clean sounding mix you've got there, sounds like you're in the room during the performance! As Roy mentioned the kick is quite forward but it's not exactly a huge issue. Can't really hear anything bad about it, good work!

Cheers and good luck with your class,
Dcp

Thanks! Tried to get a natural sound with this one. Nice profile pic too by the way!