Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Still Flying FINAL MIX (2)
Hey Shul, very nice sounding mix there! These kind of heavy stuffs are not my kind of musics but as far as I listen to them, you are quite super good! Keep it up!

(09-12-2016, 11:04 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: If you wanna know how to mix that stuff you should join nailthemix.com. You will get the original files of a song from a pro band every month and you can mix those songs for yourself and you will see how the original mixer mixes that song live ITB in an 7-8 hour session on youtube. They had Joel Wanasek mixing a Machine Head song, Nolly doing Peripherys Prayer Position, Kane Churko doing Papa Roach and this month it's Gojira with Logan Mader. All the stuff I told you are the lessons I have learned from those sessions. That's just how those songs are made.

Here is a small vid from the first NTM live mix in 2015 with Joel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3TepnWv5P0

Here is Nolly dialing in his famous bass tone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq62X1hQoFY

And here is Joey explaining how he cuts frequencies in distorted guitars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KhR_o-eBtU

And I´m beeing totally honest here: The stuff you learn in that community will bring you to another level in no time. You see guys like Joey or Nolly mixing songs in an 6-8 hour session, spending 90% of that time on the basics (volume, panning, eq, compression/limiting and automation) and doing almost no fancy, freaky stuff at all. That's why their stuff sounds so good. They use ref tracks, and they don't work without a proper pre production or a demo of the song they mix. Why? Because thats the only way to make sure the song is exactly how the band wants it to be, not how they want it to be.

And then you come over here, listen to guys mixing with 14 different compressors, 5 reverbs, sidechaining, reamping and parallel compressing like crazy when they should have spend more time with the basic stuff Smile

Hey, Blitz! Thank you for sharing it with us! I haven't heard of that course before, maybe because they are more like heavy metal guys. But I really like their sample clips - how they explain mixing stuff etc. Quite professional I would say. I totally agree with you that nailing volume balances in the mix alone improves your sound quite impressively (Almost makes it sounding like a record!)

I was considering applying puremix.net but now I am thinking about this nailthemix. What do you think?
Depends on what you wanna learn. If you want to learn how to mix rock/metal/core stuff than I would say that NTM is the place to go. Compared with puremix you get a lot more "bang for the buck". I was a puremix member for three months in 2015, but there was too much stuff that I already knew from Mikes books, and I didn't really found what I was looking for.

NTM was great from the start, though. It was eye-opening to see the real guys mixing the real songs with the same tools that I have at my disposal. You will learn quickly that shiny new plugins or new gear won't bring your mixes to another level. It's the attention to detail and hours upon hours of editing a song until every hit/stroke/note is in the right place, at the right time and with the right tuning and the right volume. E.g. the amount of work that Joey Sturgis puts into his mixes is crazy, and the amount of time he spends on correcting stuff is hard to believe until you see him actually doing it in an 8-hour-session live on Youtube. I mixed one of the songs he did in a video afterwards, copying every move he made, and I had the same great result in the end. That was an eye-opening moment for me. And that's why I focus on the basics nowadays: Choose the right samples/sounds to meet the expectations of the listener/fans/band, fix EVERYTHING that sounds broken or sloppy and search for the good stuff and highlight it.

Duelling Mixes with Cochrane and Joe Gilder is another online community, but I don't know how good they are.
(27-12-2016, 03:46 PM)MixingInTheBedroom Wrote: Hey Shul, very nice sounding mix there! These kind of heavy stuffs are not my kind of musics but as far as I listen to them, you are quite super good! Keep it up!

I was considering applying puremix.net but now I am thinking about this nailthemix. What do you think?

Thank you. Your feedback is much appreciated.

About the websites...
It all depends on your music taste. For example these type of songs are usually very loud and are a bit more simple to manage while mixing. The techniques are always very similar in terms of "how do I get that efficient loud and punchy sound"... Wereass in a different genre like pop for example.. is all about vocals and "how do I get everything to work better so vocals can shine"... Or jazz.. it's more of "how do I balance everything in the tracks without loosing too much dynamics".

Every genre has its own approach when you start mixing it.. so pure mix is more of a general music approach to mixes. They cover a wide range of it and therefore they have a bit more information on things.. but for blitzz for example that stuff are things he already knows.. and. Sure I can relate to him in that area.. I have read some books and seen several videos and mixed several songs.. so I already know how a compressor works, why use one and when to use one.. so I don't really need more things like that. What I need though is more "hands on practice"

I'm not sure if pure mix provides over the shoulder videos and show you how the mixer MIXES the song in real time but in nail the mix you get that EXPERIENCE.. is not so much the knowledge but the EXPERIENCE you get. You can know how to EQ a guitar but untill you actually hear one being eq'd in a certain way and "why" your knowledge goes by without experience. Books will tell you 400hz is Mudd, 3k is presence ' 6k is brightness etc... But untill you experience what that "sounds like" you are still in the same spot. Not to promote NTM or anything... But c'mon.. for the price you get a lot.

I'm glad there are sites like Cambridge.. and thanks Mike for the great work of giving these tracks out to everyone. I hope life is repaying you well for the Good Samaritan work you do.. but if Mike wanted to step this game up he could charge a fee a month and I'm sure most of us here would pay for that. I respect Mike for leaving this site free for users like me who can't afford much money into education but I have learned something.. you can't go through life without investing.. and investing in your self always pays off.

Bottom line it doesn't matter what site you choose.. just do it bro.. go out there and get it done. I work every day and get about 5 hrs of sleep only.. because after work I'm always mixing or researching something that has to do with audio. Be passionate about what you want to pursue.. and more importantly.. don't quit Smile.
Actually, you can/should support Mike via Patreon to keep this site alive Smile
(28-12-2016, 01:16 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: Actually, you can/should support Mike via Patreon to keep this site alive Smile

Yes sir i will as soon as I pay some bills Smile
Hey guys this is my band and I was able to check out a few seconds of the mix and I'm gonna check it out in more detail (as well as some of other people's mixes) and go through the posts and see what I can contribute. I'm super glad to see that this post has gotten to three pages and it looks to be still moving.

Shul, have you checked out the official version we released? Try mixing next to that as a reference and you should see your mix tighten right up! Hopefully I can contribute more soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ5EoQHbVTM
(29-12-2016, 12:36 AM)JadeWilliamson Wrote: Hey guys this is my band and I was able to check out a few seconds of the mix and I'm gonna check it out in more detail (as well as some of other people's mixes) and go through the posts and see what I can contribute. I'm super glad to see that this post has gotten to three pages and it looks to be still moving.

Shul, have you checked out the official version we released? Try mixing next to that as a reference and you should see your mix tighten right up! Hopefully I can contribute more soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ5EoQHbVTM

Hi Jade.. is always good to hear from the artist.. and bro this song is sick, if you can provide more material I'd be so happyto work with it.

Challenge accepted, I'm gonna try and match the reference mix.. hope to hear from you when I do.

Thanks for the awesome contribution
I listened to the most recent mix and good improvements. I thing the bass needs some different eqing ...maybe dynamic as it's gets a bit lost at times. The vox have a bit too much 3.5 k for my tastes. Good overall mix. Cheers
Hey man, really like your mix! The rhythm guitars sound nasty (in a good way!) and everything can be heard clearly. The only thing I would recommend is to try either compressing the vocals more or automating their level. They seem a little too jumpy and distant in places. Also, did you only use one of the yelled vocal tracks? If so, adding the rest in and compressing them might help him sound more appropriately pissed! Otherwise, nice job.