Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signs Mixed by Dcp
I've been toying with mixing this for a while now, and ended up scrapping a bunch of different versions I had on my hard drive. I finished mixing and rough mastering this version today and I think I might have something, still needs some more automation and level adjustments to polish it up but I think it gets across the basic style of mix I'm going for. It's time for some fresh ears to hear it!

Cheers,
Dcp

.mp3    Signs Master 1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.37 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Cool. I forgot about this song. I need to download it again.

A few things jump out at me.
1. The opening riff guitar feels a little lifeless. It should be more exciting and catch the listener's ear and hook them in. Especially considering how subdued the vocals are in the verse. They're sung fairly listlessly so that guitar should contrast that. Maybe use the effect you use on it in the bridge.
2. As for the vocals I think there's a need to add something to the verses to help fill in the space around them. Again the style of singing is a bit goth and restrained and it could use some delay or something to keep the listener interested. The phone effect is interesting but may play into the coldness of the singing.
3. The kick sounds good but it's pretty hot in the mix. I makes the song more plodding. I like the clap/snare sound.
4. The keys could come up in the verse. They help move it along.
5. I've become used to it after a few listens but the high guitar part in the chorus is pretty piercing. My first instinct is to turn the song down and that's not a good sign. I suppose the vocals could be louder but stylistically they work being low in the mix.

Tonally it sound pretty good. The balances need work. This is the kind of song that could take more effects and can use some more excitement.