Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
XXX -Headwound Harry
Hey everyone,

Please let me know what you think about the mix! I'm sure the vox could be a little better, but I'm pretty happy with how it has turned out for all the more time I spent.

.mp3    Practice 2.mp3 --  (Download: 3.62 MB)

Hey there! I submitted the stems for this song and this is my favorite mix that's been done so far!
Attached is the official master I did that the band put out, if you're interested.

First off, are you using Trigger? I can hear the snare in the Tom 1 mic triggering the sample. Probably wanna go ahead and gate those or just edit the audio of the track so that it isn't playing anything until there's actual tom information coming through. A noise gate alone doesn't handle toms very well, and these were hit pretty soft (I should've been more picky during tracking). I can also hear the latency in the plugins from time to time. You should print down the tracks and turn off Trigger (or whatever it is). Then you can move the newly printed audio track to the grid. I edited everything pretty hard and it makes it really easy to hear when something is off the grid.

The guitars have a lot of 3.5k-4k. Use a tight Q on an EQ and notch that out. I also found there was a lot of 1k.

Did you use a stereo snare room sample and leave the overheads down the center? You should pan the overheads. You'll find your entire mix will wake right up and feel way more exciting.

Vocals should be louder. You'll find that compressing them really hard with get you great results. Slow attack, slow release, lots of gain reduction.

Not a bad mix overall! Keep it up!

.mp3    XXXV.mp3 --  (Download: 9.26 MB)

Thanks man!

I'm definitely going to take some time on one of my next days off to fix up some things. Vocals are definitely one of my weak points right now. I did trigger the toms and realized that they were picking up on the snare hits when I listened to it in the car. lol As far as the snare and kick they are the live tracks mixed with samples. I will definitely take your ideas into consideration when I work on it again. I also want to add some reverb to certain snare hits.

Thanks,

Brandon