Poll: Did you like my mix?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Color Me Red Mix by John Fueston
Hi John, congrats on your first post here, I'm making this critique as I listen along to your mix. I agree with Roy on most of the points he made on your mix so I won't bother rehashing them.

One thing I did notice is that the Haas Delay on the vocals is that while the vocals do sound wider, they don't really gain anymore depth or fullness, they're slightly leaning to the left (it's just a side effect of the delay) and "Stereo" sounding but without the fullness that a doubler, chorus, or ADT (Artificial Double Track) would give to the vocals. I would just stick with a plate style reverb and a slapback delay for effects and use some compression from an LA2a emulation (Cakewalk has a free one on sale till November 7th) and some saturation to beef them up.

The double cymbal crash is more jarring to me than the stock intro IMHO, that silence is supposed to be there and without it, the intro sounds quite strange. A more effective way to make the intro work is to use a telephone filter with some distortion and a touch of reverb to make the acoustic more distant sounding. Leave out the drums until the cymbal hit starts and make sure that the acoustic is low, when the drums come it the volume difference will make the intro make more sense.

Hope this helps and cheers,
Dcp

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

Messages In This Thread
Color Me Red Mix by John Fueston - by johnfueston - 05-11-2016, 02:57 PM
RE: Color Me Red Mix by John Fueston - by Roy - 05-11-2016, 03:35 PM
RE: Color Me Red Mix by John Fueston - by dcp10200 - 05-11-2016, 10:31 PM
RE: Color Me Red Mix by John Fueston - by Obelix - 06-11-2016, 11:24 AM
RE: Color Me Red Mix by John Fueston - by thedon - 20-11-2016, 02:07 AM