Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
UncleDad-Who I Am
05-11-2016, 02:10 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2016 02:17 AM by RoyMatthews.)
UncleDad-Who I Am
I don't listen to country music but I heard mixes of this and decided to take a look at it. It's a well recorded offering from Telefunken so it was fun to dive into and mix.

The biggest issue with this one is the upright bass. I couldn't get it to sit right. In an effort to make some room for it I cleaned out a lot of lows in the other instruments. I think I may have over don't it and fear I may have gone too far.

Other than that there was the task of sorting through the instruments and trying to find place for everything. It was tempting to keep everything pretty much centered but decided against it. What helped was splitting the 'melody' parts from the rhythm acoustic guitars and piano. It was easier to get the structure and orchestrate things a bit around the vocal.

Anyway. I hope this mix works. Any comments are appreciated.

Cheers.

.mp3   UncleDad-WHO I AM-mx1c-RoyM.mp3 --  (Download: 7.1 MB)

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
-
A mix doesn't have to be good, it just hast to sound good.
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2016, 11:31 AM
RE: UncleDad-Who I Am
An enjoyable listen with the headphones on. Nice balance and clarity. Stereo space and imaging also works well for me.Big Grin

Well done

Dave
05-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Cool. Good to know. Thanks for listening!

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
-
06-11-2016, 02:25 AM
I see you decided to tackle this one! Welcome to hell, hahaha!

First thing I noticed is that it's open & crispy, very bright—almost too sibilant overall. The bass is also literally dropping out in several spots. Not sure if it's a frequency/signal issue or what.

What I did was to duplicate the bass channel and pan each side slightly to each side (15L/R) and adjust the combined volume accordingly. I panned the piano to the back (40 L/R) to round out the warmth/deep end. It seems odd to bring the bass forward but it worked best for me.

Lead vox lacks some warmth; I EQ'd him by slightly lowering both the hi & low end frequencies, slightly boosted mid-low frequencies & did a sharp cut to a section of the mid -freq that sounded discordant. I posted a screen shot, below.

The fiddles are really dominating; maybe pan them away from the lead vox or lower volume so they're dropped back?

Your drums sound great; the snare is nice & snappy.

Not sure of you added any reverbs but it would boost the overall warmth of the song as well (as long as you don't overdo it like I tend to do!).

My instructor helpfully advised me to visualize where the instruments/players would literally be positioned on stage and pan/adjust volume accordingly. I find that helps quite a bit.

Just my 2¢ from an n00b, for what it's worth! Smile

(05-11-2016 02:10 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote:  I don't listen to country music but I heard mixes of this and decided to take a look at it. It's a well recorded offering from Telefunken so it was fun to dive into and mix.

The biggest issue with this one is the upright bass. I couldn't get it to sit right. In an effort to make some room for it I cleaned out a lot of lows in the other instruments. I think I may have over don't it and fear I may have gone too far.

Other than that there was the task of sorting through the instruments and trying to find place for everything. It was tempting to keep everything pretty much centered but decided against it. What helped was splitting the 'melody' parts from the rhythm acoustic guitars and piano. It was easier to get the structure and orchestras things a bit around the vocal.

Anyway. I hope this mix works. Any comments are appreciated.

Cheers.

Thumbnail(s)

06-11-2016, 02:47 AM
Yeah, it's a bright mix. It could be a mix bus eq thing. I don't remember what I did with that, if anything. The instruments themselves are all pretty bright.

I can see the vocal lacking warmth. I think I overcompensated for his natural bass.

I like the fiddle being up and did some rides around the vocals but I'll check to see if I missed any spots.

The snare is too snappy for my tastes but I couldn't change it without really changing to sound too much so I left it.

There is some reverb but it's pretty short in an effort to keep it natural.

As far as panning I'm strictly a L-C-R guy.

You did mention duplicating and panning the bass. Are you doing anything differently to the each track? Because a track that's duplicated and played along side of it self won't be in stereo. Just louder. 6 db to be exact if the tracks are equal levels. Raising or lowering the level of one of the tracks would just pan it.

Thanks for the input.

-
06-11-2016, 03:13 AM
Hiya;

I've attached some screen shots of what my panning looks like—I try not to stick too many instruments in the exact same spot, especially if they're similar frequencies. Extreme L-R-C panning might be making your mix sound a little "tight" if that makes sense.

Cheers!

(06-11-2016 02:47 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote:  Yeah, it's a bright mix. It could be a mix bus eq thing. I don't remember what I did with that, if anything. The instruments themselves are all pretty bright.

I can see the vocal lacking warmth. I think I overcompensated for his natural bass.

I like the fiddle being up and did some rides around the vocals but I'll check to see if I missed any spots.

The snare is too snappy for my tastes but I couldn't change it without really changing to sound too much so I left it.

There is some reverb but it's pretty short in an effort to keep it natural.

As far as panning I'm strictly a L-C-R guy.

You did mention duplicating and panning the bass. Are you doing anything differently to the each track? Because a track that's duplicated and played along side of it self won't be in stereo. Just louder. 6 db to be exact if the tracks are equal levels. Raising or lowering the level of one of the tracks would just pan it.

Thanks for the input.

Thumbnail(s)

12-08-2017, 12:10 PM
The whole mix feels foggy and cluttered, the mix is lacking some sort of impact, if you reference a lot of music in this era you will notice how engineers refine the material and make it interesting and also keep sounds that sound boring and unprofessional in the background.
12-08-2017, 12:33 PM
Hey Crownoise,

As you seem to have claimed the title "I am more expericiend and correct then everyone one on this forum" and somehow are the only one that thinks this mix is not good I think you should reconsider if you are any good as a mixer at all...

If I have reviewed your mix, I would be very happy to get a review myself.
Also if you want me to review your mix just PM me, I will gladly help!

Support my video work!
Advertisement: