Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It was hard..
I am very unhappy about the result, maybe someone can tell me my Problems.

.mp3    Mixdown(3).mp3 --  (Download: 6.78 MB)

Ooh - I like your intro, Tmny. Interesting and original effect. Grabs me straight away!

I'll see if I can help you sort out some of the things which may be causing you trouble:

As Thedon has said, the guitars are very loud compared to the rest of the band. Bringing them down will probably mean rebalancing the levels of other instruments (sorry about that). But I think this will fix most of the instrument balancing problems...though we'll most likely then be able to detect issues that are currently hidden by the guitars Wink

There's a lot of piercing frequencies in the hihat and cymbals. If you have hyped the 7-10kHz range, back it off a little.
Also remove everything below about 1kHz from the hihat to remove the mud.

There's also some murk in the cymbals in the overhead channel most obvious in the intro section at 0:31, especially the cymbal on the right hand side. Again, use EQ cuts to scoop out offending frequency ranges. You can actually high pass the overheads at 200Hz and remove a lot of unwanted mud - let the close mics carry the body of the toms.

Back off the buss compression or control the kick's energy with harder compression, as it is causing obvious dips to occur across the mix at 1:17 and 2:33

The start of the vocal line at 3:58 is getting choked as the previous vocal finishes - instead of fading up the second vocal, fade out the previous one.

Tip: the variable HPF is our understated friend for removing murk from a mix! Smile
If you have an EQ with a frequency analyser - or just a frequency analyser - put it across the channel to see where most of the 'useable' energy is and roll off everything below that is not needed. If you solo the instrument (any instrument that doesn't have lots of low end) and start applying a HPF until the character of the instrument changes too dramatically, then back off the frequency to where it sounds OK you'll clear up a lot of mud in the mix with just this one plugin. Usually a HPF is already an included component of an advanced EQ plugin.

I also struggled with this mix (still not entirely happy with mine but I haven't looked at it for a long time) but I think you will be able to work your way through to getting a much better version that you're happy with, and you'll hopefully learn a bit through your trials and errors too!

Best regards,
Dags
So many songs, so little time!
(04-06-2013, 11:49 PM)Tmny Wrote: I am very unhappy about the result, maybe someone can tell me my Problems.

Sounds like the drums need work. The cymbals almost sound like they're in a wah effect or something.
First of all, (It was hard..), that's what she said. I really love your intro. I would love to know how you did that if thats cool with you? Don't bring yourself down on this song too much. I think you have great ideas and the more you make mistakes the better you'll become. This song was a tough one to work with but I found that subtracting a lot when I EQ'd really helped me make space for everything and I think you should give that a shot. This is a good song to keep practicing on because its really hard to get right. If you can make this sound good you did a great job. I would recommend starting all over with this one and maybe use some reference tracks to see what kind of sound you're aiming for. Keep it up though!

Check my mix out too and comment please!