Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel13 - Colour Me Red (M&F)
I upped my recall version in the top post.. in a nutshell comparing it to the first post, everyone was right with their comments. Thanks
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
(18-11-2016, 01:16 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: I upped my recall version in the top post.. in a nutshell comparing it to the first post, everyone was right with their comments. Thanks

Only comment, if you're going for this style is that the snare might benefit from a little more body. Other than that, rock on. Cool
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(18-11-2016, 01:16 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: I upped my recall version in the top post.. in a nutshell comparing it to the first post, everyone was right with their comments. Thanks

Cool -- I'll maybe just upload the version of the mix I commented on to my post. Otherwise some of my comments may not make much sense any more! Smile In general, it's often best to leave all previous versions of a mix in the thread for that reason, and then just make it clear in the top post which is the latest version.
(17-11-2016, 02:19 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: Here is a good reference of traditional Rockabilly style music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxnlmuudJqs

Nice link. I know already quite many of those names in that list. I used to have a quite good collection of rockabilly vinyls. Unfortunately I don't have any more working vinyl player.

It's an interesting genre. Some of the classics are true pearls, while other ones are so stupid that I cannot listen them at all. And the line between the real onr and the stupid one is very vague. There can be two bands playing the same song with almost exactly the same arrangement, and still another one can be super cool, and another absolutely childish and boring.

Believe it or not, the only guitar style that I ever learnt to play somewhat properly, was old finger picking rockabilly in Scotty Moore style.

Your lates mix is pretty cool.
(18-11-2016, 07:49 AM)Mike Senior Wrote:

Cool -- I'll maybe just upload the version of the mix I commented on to my post. Otherwise some of my comments may not make much sense any more! Smile In general, it's often best to leave all previous versions of a mix in the thread for that reason, and then just make it clear in the top post which is the latest version.

I understand.. In instances within a posting window of the foundational mix, if I think the configuration decision was initially off the mark, I'll replace it with the new foundation for which to extend from.
Some cool and interesting ideas going on here in you mix, I get what Mike was saying about the punk esque sound of your mix and it works pretty well. To me however it seems like your mix is always pushing hard, it never really steps back from having a hard edge which does make it a touch fatiguing after the first 1:30, prehapse easing up on the saturation/compression during the verses or going for a more natural sound during the first bit of the track and building it up from there? Also, that "clipping" issue seems to still be there when the crash comes in on the intro an the acoustic chords in the first verse, did you use NLS there, if so try using the Mike TG console emulation, it distorts and saturates more smoothly and generally doesn't crackle when driven as much as the SSL or Neve emulations.

Overall it's pretty solid and does sound good, my comments are probably taste so take what you will from them.

Cheers,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(18-11-2016, 05:30 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Some cool and interesting ideas going on here in you mix, I get what Mike was saying about the punk esque sound of your mix and it works pretty well. To me however it seems like your mix is always pushing hard, it never really steps back from having a hard edge which does make it a touch fatiguing after the first 1:30, prehapse easing up on the saturation/compression during the verses or going for a more natural sound during the first bit of the track and building it up from there? Also, that "clipping" issue seems to still be there when the crash comes in on the intro an the acoustic chords in the first verse, did you use NLS there, if so try using the Mike TG console emulation, it distorts and saturates more smoothly and generally doesn't crackle when driven as much as the SSL or Neve emulations.

Overall it's pretty solid and does sound good, my comments are probably taste so take what you will from them.

Cheers,
Dcp

Hey DCP, thanks, and your comments makes sense..
I find the mix hard to listen to,this is not mixing really I don't mean to be rude in anyway but to
me it just all sounds a bit of a mess .You certainly wouldn't hear it on a radio
(18-11-2016, 08:15 PM)takka360 Wrote: I find the mix hard to listen to,this is not mixing really I don't mean to be rude in anyway but to
me it just all sounds a bit of a mess .You certainly wouldn't hear it on a radio

I'm upping my final-rev2 version.. Good luck on your mix and perhaps some members can give you some pointers.
Thanks to everyone comments, I upped a rev2 recall and I'm now happy with it: A few days ago a digital unit in my rig popped up an update and I pressed it without realizing what it was. Since that update I believe i've been getting digital jitter issues on my 2track bounces. I was able to roll back the firmware to the version used on my other recent posts and am satisfied better with the bounce results.