Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Borderline-mix/master
Hi guys,

I'm just learning the basics of mixing and mastering and this is the first time handling an acoustic song.Feel free to give feedback and let me know whatchu think.Thanks!!!

.mp3    Borderline-mix-n-master.mp3 --  (Download: 913.11 KB)

It sounds good. The a few things that jump out at me:
1. The kick has a cardboard quality to it. A cut in the 300-500 hz range (rough guess) would help.
2. The right side of the mix is too crowded. At least, in the excerpt. It sounds like there's 2 electrics and an acoustic. Maybe center the acoustic so there isn't so much sonic energy on the right.
3. The acoustic is kinda tinny. A slight dip in the high end or upper mids would make it sound more natural.

Other than that everything works. Good job.
(03-11-2016, 06:15 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It sounds good. The a few things that jump out at me:
1. The kick has a cardboard quality to it. A cut in the 300-500 hz range (rough guess) would help.
2. The right side of the mix is too crowded. At least, in the excerpt. It sounds like there's 2 electrics and an acoustic. Maybe center the acoustic so there isn't so much sonic energy on the right.
3. The acoustic is kinda tinny. A slight dip in the high end or upper mids would make it sound more natural.

Other than that everything works. Good job.

Okay,I'll definitely try to fix it up.When you say the kick sounds like it has a cardboard quality,what do you mean?
I guess boxy. There's too much 'thud' in the kick. If that makes sense. I think it could be scooped out and it'll sit better in the mix.
(03-11-2016, 07:46 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I guess boxy. There's too much 'thud' in the kick. If that makes sense. I think it could be scooped out and it'll sit better in the mix.

Sounds goodSmileThank you very much for the feedback.How long have you been mixing?
(04-11-2016, 01:13 AM)aragland Wrote:
(03-11-2016, 07:46 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I guess boxy. There's too much 'thud' in the kick. If that makes sense. I think it could be scooped out and it'll sit better in the mix.

Sounds goodSmileThank you very much for the feedback.How long have you been mixing?

It's a little hard to say. Off and on since about '95? I've lost track. But I haven't done much of it in a while so it's been nice to be able to download multitracks on here and practice.