Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total Change
Greetings,

I reached a point where I just wasn't happy with my mixes so I changed DAWs, Plugins and workflow.

Have a listen and let me know what you think.

Mike

.mp3    PrayForRanMaster_K12_Take1.mp3 --  (Download: 12.52 MB)

(02-11-2016, 06:57 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds pretty darn good overall. Just a couple of things

I do like the high end on the vocal but I think it might be a bit too much. Especially how it accentuates any sibilance. I would dial it back some. It definitely works on her voice and for the style of music but it's bordering on overboard. At least try de-essing a bit and see if it helps. Also, when the vocal comes back in at the bridge there a brief amount of hiss that precedes it. I'd try getting editing out the space as close to the vocal coming in as you can and/or a quick fade in. Also the trail of the drums (I think) decaying into that section sounds cut. I'd consider fading that out a little faster.

There's a noise that comes in right before the first chorus that feels out of place. I'm not sure what it is.

The whole track feels pretty atmospheric, which is nice but I think a longer reverb on the snare might help move the song along more. The toms might be a little loud.

The solo is lacking. I think it should be louder and maybe some delay would give it more movement. It doesn't fill in the space when the vocal is gone. The lead at the end is a little better.

What I want most from the song is more dynamics. The choruses should soar more and be bigger. It feels tame right now which builds some tension but it'd be nice for it to go somewhere. Now I'm not familiar with the arrangement or what tracks you have to work with. It seems like it's pretty sparse so it might be hard to find something in there to build on.

I'd consider a slow fade on the song instead of going all the way to the end. but if you do let it go all the way it still needs a little fade before the silence. Maybe some delay or reverb to hang over and decay on.

Everything sounds pretty great. The main issue is the overall dynamics of the song. If it was able to get bigger it might add some excitement.

Thanks for all the info.

The noise is cause I am using the trial of mixbuss 32c .

I will work on the rest and repost.

Thanks again

Mike

Roy,

Here it Tis.

Waiting till Black Friday to purchase Mixbus and a couple of new plugs.

Saved a few of the old ones also.

Let me know what you think>

Mike

.mp3    PrayForRanMaster_K12_Take2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.01 MB)

Cool. The vocal is still bright but it's a better sounding bright from what I remember of the first mix. It's still a little sibilant but it doesn't bother me like it did before.

It sounds good. I like the effect in the bridge on the vocal.

There's one or two weird floor tom hits in the beginning of the outro solo. That's the only issue that I noticed.
(08-11-2016, 04:43 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Cool. The vocal is still bright but it's a better sounding bright from what I remember of the first mix. It's still a little sibilant but it doesn't bother me like it did before.

It sounds good. I like the effect in the bridge on the vocal.

There's one or two weird floor tom hits in the beginning of the outro solo. That's the only issue that I noticed.

Mixbus doesn't like any of my deesser plugs so I am in search of one that works.

The tom hits are muddled. by the noise that the trial version of mixbus adds.

Think I'll make the switch to mixbus 32c from Reaper. Things just come together better and quicker for me.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Mike
I understand. In the second version of the song the sibilance wasn't that bad. It was there but not piercing. So I wouldn't worry about it too much on that mix.

Good luck with the switch.
Pretty good stuff. I would like to hear more guitar in support of the mystery and emotional power of the song. I think there is plenty of space for them in your mix.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi Mike - thanks for mixing our track. There are some cool creative ideas in there ! I haven't heard someone do the double cymbal swell which was cool - also gave some stereo interest.

I like the vibe of the intro guitar. The ride is poking out a bit for me - perhaps level, or a bit of attack taming with a Transient Designer.

Being the guitar player, I am missing hearing the verse and chorus guitars - it may be a part of your mix vision for the stripped back approach, so that is subjective of course. Without them in the chorus though, the verse -> chorus transition isn't very profound. Perhaps another mix element or something could help.

The vocal in V2 is still very bright - is there an exciter on it? Perhaps taming that a bit will help with the sibilance.

Solo guitar parts - they could be filled out a bit - some delays and a bit more warmth.

I like the general vibe and reverb choices - thanks again for posting !