Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet - All The Gin Is Gone
After mixing rock for a year, I thought I'd try something different. I went for a 60's Hi-Fi sound and tried to give it a live feel. Also I tried not to constrain myself by the conventional rock panning strategy and panned the drums and bass a bit left and offset that with the piano to the right. I guess it works. Question: does anyone know if the fact that the ride cymbal is mostly stick noise a stylistic thing or a recording screw-up?

.mp3    Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet - All The Gin Is Gone.mp3 --  (Download: 8.75 MB)

.mp3    Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet - All The Gin Is Gone V2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.75 MB)

I though I'd revisit this song since I've learned the art of using saturation in place of compression for lopping off transients. Up until a few months ago, I'd "master" my mixes on the master bus with multiband compression and basically ruin everything. I also always did it at the end of a long mix session so my ears were to tired to notice I was destroying the mix. Now, I do almost nothing on the master bus but maybe a final EQ and some limiting, if necessary. The two mixes couldn't be more different as far as dynamics go. I also used the spill into the floor tom mic to reinforce the ride cymbal so it doesn't just sound like stick noise.
(28-02-2017, 12:41 AM)parnellij Wrote: I though I'd revisit this song since I've learned the art of using saturation in place of compression for lopping off transients. Up until a few months ago, I'd "master" my mixes on the master bus with multiband compression and basically ruin everything. I also always did it at the end of a long mix session so my ears were to tired to notice I was destroying the mix. Now, I do almost nothing on the master bus but maybe a final EQ and some limiting, if necessary. The two mixes couldn't be more different as far as dynamics go. I also used the spill into the floor tom mic to reinforce the ride cymbal so it doesn't just sound like stick noise.

V2 sounding more relaxed and lively at the same time. Deffinately more natural and musical. You can certainly hear the compression pulling on the first mix in comparison.

Well Done