Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel13 - Colour Me Red
(04-11-2016, 11:15 AM)thedon Wrote: Sounds good I like it ,a touch more body on the snare would sound great.

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks for your feedback. I just need to be careful not to loose the that "country vibe" Big Grin
(04-11-2016, 11:58 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Second mix is much better. Excellent job.

Thanks for your positive feedback Smile
Good clarity and balance, but it seems really loud in the high-mids to me, which makes the snare a bit "biscuit-tin"-y.

The I-LUFS is -8.2 dB which isn't crazy-loud for these days, but you are inter-sample peaking at +0.5/+0.9, which might be why it sounds bit too crunchy.

Could be worth reducing the gain into your master channel, and limiting the peak output to -1.0 dB when you bounce down, to stop the conversion to mp3 overloading. With that and the Eq I think this'll sound great!

Hope this helps! All the best, Graham.
(30-10-2016, 11:15 AM)L.Mix Wrote: Thanks for listening and feedback is appreciated.

Listened to the second version.

Levels seem nicely judged (except, perhaps, the snare/toms on the drum fills could come through a little more clearly). Like the way the mix surrounds you, and also noted the little pieces of automation; for example the Electric Guitar 4 panning.

On balance: To my ears the top end is a little bright/brittle, heard most clearly in the intro. Although other instruments come in to fill out the bottom end, it's still a bit to much "top and bottom, no midrange". Consequently the mix doesn't translate onto smaller systems well. Some more energy in the (guessing a little here) but, maybe, 400Hz-1KHz range may help.

The kick drum needs some work (it has the "cardboard box being hit" sound). That was a tough one to get right on this mix (a sample might be the appropriate remedy, unless you want to end up with seven plugins chained ... as I did!). Given there are several sections where only the kick drum is marking time it makes a huge difference to the mix to get that sounding solid.

Hope this helps! Cheers, Jeff
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(07-11-2016, 03:06 PM)IRONWORK Wrote: Good clarity and balance, but it seems really loud in the high-mids to me, which makes the snare a bit "biscuit-tin"-y.

The I-LUFS is -8.2 dB which isn't crazy-loud for these days, but you are inter-sample peaking at +0.5/+0.9, which might be why it sounds bit too crunchy.

Could be worth reducing the gain into your master channel, and limiting the peak output to -1.0 dB when you bounce down, to stop the conversion to mp3 overloading. With that and the Eq I think this'll sound great!

Hope this helps! All the best, Graham.

Thanks for your feedback Graham, Interesting observation about the Inter-Sample measurement. I normally put the SSL meter on the master buss to see if any analogue or digital distortion is present but it was ok. If you don't mind me asking what have you used for measuring, maybe my method is not that accurate.
Time to re-visit the settings Smile

Lajos.
(07-11-2016, 03:14 PM)jeffd42 Wrote:
(30-10-2016, 11:15 AM)L.Mix Wrote: Thanks for listening and feedback is appreciated.

Listened to the second version.

Levels seem nicely judged (except, perhaps, the snare/toms on the drum fills could come through a little more clearly). Like the way the mix surrounds you, and also noted the little pieces of automation; for example the Electric Guitar 4 panning.

On balance: To my ears the top end is a little bright/brittle, heard most clearly in the intro. Although other instruments come in to fill out the bottom end, it's still a bit to much "top and bottom, no midrange". Consequently the mix doesn't translate onto smaller systems well. Some more energy in the (guessing a little here) but, maybe, 400Hz-1KHz range may help.

The kick drum needs some work (it has the "cardboard box being hit" sound). That was a tough one to get right on this mix (a sample might be the appropriate remedy, unless you want to end up with seven plugins chained ... as I did!). Given there are several sections where only the kick drum is marking time it makes a huge difference to the mix to get that sounding solid.

Hope this helps! Cheers, Jeff

Hi Jeff,
thanks for listening, and I like your analysis. Yes the whole drum set was a bit of a challenge (hard work, for me anyway) may have to revisit the drum section. It's just that I don't want to loose that country feel of the song and make it heavier leaning towards full on Rock, if that makes sense..
And now that you pointed out about the lower - mid frequency balance, I can hear it more....
thanks again.

Lajos