Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"My Own" J3fffB0YRD mix
I don't even want to tell you how many hours I put into this mix. Every time I listened back to what I thought was finished, I thought of something I wanted to change, or try, or redo. Well, here's my final mix. Feel free to hit me with feedback or stars. Thx!

****Update: scroll down for revisions****

.mp3    MyOwn_320.mp3 --  (Download: 10.77 MB)

(29-10-2016, 01:48 AM)jeffssoloband Wrote: I don't even want to tell you how many hours I put into this mix. Every time I listened back to what I thought was finished, I thought of something I wanted to change, or try, or redo. Well, here's my final mix. Feel free to hit me with feedback or stars. Thx!

Hey Hey,

TBH I think the vocal is lost in the mix. I do like the effect on the piano at the start Smile
and the backing vocal could have its own space in the mix maybe panned right.

Angel
(26-11-2016, 10:38 PM)colmslattery Wrote: Hey Hey,

TBH I think the vocal is lost in the mix. I do like the effect on the piano at the start Smile
and the backing vocal could have its own space in the mix maybe panned right.

Angel

Hey there, thanks for the feedback. I'm curious to know what kind of system(s) you are listening through.

The vocals do feel lost somehow. I think the vocals kinda live in the same frequency area as the piano on the right and the piano takes the attention away from the vocal. The second verse feels good. I think it's because that vocal has more body and feels bigger than the piano part. It also feels pretty compressed so the dynamics get flattened and every part is "in front", if that makes sense.
(27-11-2016, 05:58 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: The vocals do feel lost somehow. I think the vocals kinda live in the same frequency area as the piano on the right and the piano takes the attention away from the vocal. The second verse feels good. I think it's because that vocal has more body and feels bigger than the piano part. It also feels pretty compressed so the dynamics get flattened and every part is "in front", if that makes sense.
Hey, thanks for sharing your feedback. Just a couple of questions (if you have the time to elaborate)... When you say the vocals "feel lost," are you referring to the whole song, the verses and hits, the chorus, and/ or the bg vocals? And when you say it "feels pretty compressed," are you just referring to the vox, or does the whole thing sound squashed to you? Thanks again for listening. Smile
Pretty much all the vocals. Except for that 2nd verse rap. That part feels ok.
I know "feels lost" is pretty ambiguous. It's mostly that they're hard to focus on and weren't in the forefront of the song. Think it's mostly a frequency/tone issue. They have a brightness that puts it right in the same area as the the piano and synths.

The compression refers to the whole thing. The song feels somewhat small and restrained and it's mostly an issue for the vocals because they don't have much of a chance to pop out of the track. It's not so much an issue with the instruments because they doesn't really change their volumes, at least on the multitrack.

Hope that clarifies. I haven't had my coffee yet.

Cheers.
That all make perfect sense. I'm gonna revisit my mix and see if I can bring some life into the vox and overall mix based on your feedback. I'll get a revision posted once I've got it done. Thanks again for listening and responding.
Here is version 2. Better or worse??

.mp3    My Own_320_2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.75 MB)

Definitely better. The vocals sound really good. The backup vocals might are a little right heavy.

If anything it's a little too far in the other direction now. The vocals sound good and solid and now the music has to come up to support it. But for the most part in mixing the vocals are the most important part of the song (not always) so it's definitely better that the vocals are up front.

Good job.
Did some subtle tweaking. This is the third and (hopefully) final version.

.mp3    MyOwn_320_3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.75 MB)