Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Right on right on
Another great song. If this one doesn't get you moving something, nothing will.

.mp3    Funky to the Bone.mp3 --  (Download: 9.42 MB)

cool mix ,Just the hi hat sounds a touch loud on my monitors ,but everything else is spot on.
Love the guitar and organ solo.
Well Done

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hey Mr Groove,

You have got this one moving along nicely. I like the drum room ambience sound you have created. With this contrast, It has made the mix your own.

Well Done.

Dave
Thanks guys for your feedback. It sounds a bit bass-heavy compared to some of the other mixes, but to me that's the foundation of funk.
The drums took the most work but I had plenty to work with from all the guitar tracks. And I can heartily recommend the Bass Professor MkII in the Reapack extensions.
(31-10-2016, 05:04 PM)MrGroove Wrote: Thanks guys for your feedback. It sounds a bit bass-heavy compared to some of the other mixes, but to me that's the foundation of funk.
The drums took the most work but I had plenty to work with from all the guitar tracks. And I can heartily recommend the Bass Professor MkII in the Reapack extensions.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I bet you challenge a lot of audio techs.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(06-11-2016, 07:12 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(31-10-2016, 05:04 PM)MrGroove Wrote: Thanks guys for your feedback. It sounds a bit bass-heavy compared to some of the other mixes, but to me that's the foundation of funk.

Nah, but I've been yelled at a couple of times while running live sound, so there's that. But that's about it, fortunately. Confused
The cool thing about mixing is there's no really wrong way to do it. It's a matter of preference.
(07-11-2016, 07:07 PM)MrGroove Wrote:

Nah, but I've been yelled at a couple of times while running live sound, so there's that. But that's about it, fortunately. Confused
The cool thing about mixing is there's no really wrong way to do it. It's a matter of preference.

I'd like to be sure about one thing. You say the foundation of funk is the bass. Can I assume you are speaking of the bass guitar and not bass as in low end? There is a huge difference between the two.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(07-11-2016, 07:30 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(07-11-2016, 07:07 PM)MrGroove Wrote:

I'd like to be sure about one thing. You say the foundation of funk is the bass. Can I assume you are speaking of the bass guitar and not bass as in low end? There is a huge difference between the two.

I mean the bass guitar, most definitely. I've played both bass and drums in funk bands and the rhythm section is what gets people tapping their toes or out on the dance floor.

You'll laugh, but this is just a hobby for me right now. I do have a friend who's a producer and has a publishing company. I'm going to give myself a few more months at this pace and ask him to invite me to a mixing session for one of his artists.
I'll take your comment as a nice compliment. Thank you.
The technical bit
The hihat is fitting soundwise but a bit loud - unbalanced with the drum ensemble

The artistic bit
Justification to bass heaviness: following your comment, and interpreting the mood of the song, bass heavy should be in funk bass groovy, transporting the song along.
The electric bass alone does not fulfill all the groove of this song, especially in some breaks where the long bass notes are still while the kick goes on. And the kick is weak (or less powerful than the bass line).
Trick number 1 in rock mix is to solo bass and kick and balance the two loudness wise. (trick number 0 would be always do not pan snare: dead center).

To summarise:
- less bass
- more kick (that alone bring the need for some drum rebalancing)
- review the bit invasive hihat (that also give some space to the rest of the drum set and the soloist instruments)

my opinion, ok? Smile
cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland