Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Funky Funky Funky
Hi Dave ,Sounds great here love the guitars the bass and kick work well together could be a touch full on the low frequencies but not a big deal, the organ and guitar solo also sound great I love the space you have created .

A smack on the wrist for missing your mix.

Well Done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(27-11-2016, 07:05 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: ------------------

Yo Dave,

Nice mix. Clear and the gtrs are awesome....nice and clear and warm sounding. Even in mix #2 the snare and kick could come up a bit but it still doesn't bug me....that's a taste thing. As you know, in the past, I tended to make the kick (and sometimes the snare) way too loud. What I am saying is, the blend in your mix of the various elements, including the drums, sounds great to me. A very pleasant listen.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

After listening to your mix, I agree that I could definitely use some more kick. It really gives that extra bit of energy that drives the song.
(28-11-2016, 09:19 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Dave ,Sounds great here love the guitars the bass and kick work well together could be a touch full on the low frequencies but not a big deal, the organ and guitar solo also sound great I love the space you have created .

A smack on the wrist for missing your mix.

Well Done Big Grin

Thanks Don,

I was late to the party with this one, as usual, so I wouldn't stress about it. Besides you leave more than enough comments for everyone. Your service to this site and it's cause is above and beyond.Big Grin
Hey Dave. Great mix. really enjoyed it. seems nicely balanced to me with great guitar tones, nice rhythm section and strong vocals.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure on (and i mean that I'm really not sure) is the overall tone. It sometimes sounds a little boxey to my ears - which is an easy thing to do when mixing such great sounding mid range instruments. Some gentle top/bottom shelving boosts on your master buss EQ would probably do the trick.

Again, great work. Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
(09-12-2016, 03:20 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Hey Dave. Great mix. really enjoyed it. seems nicely balanced to me with great guitar tones, nice rhythm section and strong vocals.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure on (and i mean that I'm really not sure) is the overall tone. It sometimes sounds a little boxey to my ears - which is an easy thing to do when mixing such great sounding mid range instruments. Some gentle top/bottom shelving boosts on your master buss EQ would probably do the trick.

Again, great work. Cheers, Simon

Yeah, I'm not completely satisfied with this one. Maybe this boxiness you're hearing is what's subconsciously troubling me. I think your observations maybe similar to what Don was also hearing in the mix.

Thanks mate

Dave
(09-12-2016, 12:53 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Yeah, I'm not completely satisfied with this one. Maybe this boxiness you're hearing is what's subconsciously troubling me. I think your observations maybe similar to what Don was also hearing in the mix.

Thanks mate

Dave

I think nearly every mix I do is either too boxy or too brittle (or both) at some stage and its really only once i get a mix nearly finished and I can compare against some reference tracks that i start to fine tune the spectral balance - so i feel your painSmile
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
(11-12-2016, 07:52 AM)HbGuitar Wrote:
(09-12-2016, 12:53 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Yeah, I'm not completely satisfied with this one. Maybe this boxiness you're hearing is what's subconsciously troubling me. I think your observations maybe similar to what Don was also hearing in the mix.

Thanks mate

Dave

I think nearly every mix I do is either too boxy or too brittle (or both) at some stage and its really only once i get a mix nearly finished and I can compare against some reference tracks that i start to fine tune the spectral balance - so i feel your painSmile

Interesting! I think the greatest skill set improvement I've made over the part couple of years in this regard would be that of "Listening" so I'm finding I'm getting closer to my desired sound these days with less effort which has positive results all the way round. But there are still those challenging moments that I still tend hang myself on time and time again.
Hi man !

I've only listened to the last version of your mix. It's a great one you achieved ! Maybe the drums are a bit dry for my taste, but nothing you did wrong.
Kick could deserve more attack to help it to be heard more.

Great mix man !
(29-12-2016, 04:31 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hi man !

I've only listened to the last version of your mix. It's a great one you achieved ! Maybe the drums are a bit dry for my taste, but nothing you did wrong.
Kick could deserve more attack to help it to be heard more.

Great mix man !

Thanks bloke, Smile

I think drums in general are something I need to focus on a bit more. A good goal for 2017

Cheers