Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HH-XXXV My Mix
Hey! So this is my first post here. Big Grin Hopefully I'll have time to do some more. I'd love some critique and feedback. The more detailed the better!

So this took me about 24 solid hours to do. Mixed in Reaper. I had the hardest time getting the vocals right and I'm still not 100% with them. Still really pleased with the instrumental though. The raw files provided were pretty rough, so this was an exercise in clean-up and seeing how far I could take the song.

I used Whitechapel's This Is Exile as a main reference and also some Emmure songs, to try and get the sound I think they were aiming for.

The first included track is a "before" version with only rough volume levels set and very sparse panning.
The second is the actuall mix.

Some highlights in workflow:
-I wanted to try drum replacement since I have never really felt the need before. I did so with the kick, snare, and floor tom (which was just clipping in the original).
-The drum editing was really sloppy with plenty of clicks and cut off cymbals. Not a lot to be done about it, but I put a little extra reverb on the overheads to try and smooth it out and kept them down in the mix.
-I ran the bass through POD Farm and sent it to two seperate busses (one high, one low) and compressed the low buss off the kick signal.
-Guitars just needed EQ and multi comp on the lows to get the chugg.
-Vocals were a pain. Just a lot of room tone and almost the opposite of what freq. I wanted out of them. I edited them in three groups: Lead, Backups, and Lows (gutterals). In the end the fx-chain was: HPF, EQ (surgical), EQ (broad), Comp (Control), EQ (slight), Comp (Heavy), EQ (Cut/add), EQ (Cut), Multi Comp, EQ (Cut/add), Decapitator, EQ (Brightness). A real iterative process.

I have a few plugins on the master buss as well.

Some pluggins I used a lot were: BootEQ MKII, SonEQ, ReaXComp, ColourEQ, TDR Feedback Comp

.mp3    HHarry_Mix_1_RAW.mp3 --  (Download: 8.03 MB)

.mp3    HHarry_MIX_5.mp3 --  (Download: 8.24 MB)

nice balance, sound heavy but i think a little air will be great, mostly on the guitars, they have the weight but theycan be more clear if you work on 8 khz, maybe a high shelf on 6 khz.

very good work overall

cheers
Thanks for the feedback!
Cool I raised the high cut on the guitars from 9khz to 9.6, increased the high shelf on 6k by +3db and added a shelf to drums at 9k +1db. There's a multi-comp on the stereo buss so the boosts don't make as much of a difference as you'd normally expect.
I increased the attack with a transient designer on the high tom to help it cut better and added a reverse snare effect for fun ^^

Check it out and see if it's better Big Grin

Thanks again!

EDIT: A/B listening back now. I decided to decrease the multi comp on the highs since it seemed to be working to hard. Hopefully there will be more of an apparent change now.

.mp3    HHarry_MIX_6.mp3 --  (Download: 8.22 MB)