Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
APZX: 'Cyber Mower'
APZX: 'Cyber Mower'

.mp3    APZX - Cyber Mower.mp3 --  (Download: 12.93 MB)

As I said in another thread I really submitted this to hopefully cause some headaches and throw a nice curve ball into the mix.

All right initial impressions!

Definitely like the slightly softer approach going on. Not everything right in your face. Not really a lot to comment on otherwise. Though leading to the breakdown I do feel as though the extra percs were a bit too loud. Then you bring in the pads and really didn't try to dress them up. That is interesting to me. When I hear pads like this I always want to try and dress them up in some way. Anyways, I digress. Straightforward interpretation of the drum beat leading to a mini climax. I felt you could have lifted that up a bit more personally. Now, the percs are pretty rightly leveled for the part with that brass stab. Also, you got that little saw riff quite nicely mixed in. Lead-in to the climax is good, but you backed off the overall level a bit. Probably from trying to fit the pads in. Don't be afraid of the sidechain. Though the percs are really well mixed in this. Though you do lose some HF energy.

Overall pretty darn good. Definitely liked the perc work. Lots of attention paid to them.
(25-10-2016, 01:08 AM)APZX Wrote: As I said in another thread I really submitted this to hopefully cause some headaches and throw a nice curve ball into the mix.

All right initial impressions!

Definitely like the slightly softer approach going on. Not everything right in your face. Not really a lot to comment on otherwise. Though leading to the breakdown I do feel as though the extra percs were a bit too loud. Then you bring in the pads and really didn't try to dress them up. That is interesting to me. When I hear pads like this I always want to try and dress them up in some way. Anyways, I digress. Straightforward interpretation of the drum beat leading to a mini climax. I felt you could have lifted that up a bit more personally. Now, the percs are pretty rightly leveled for the part with that brass stab. Also, you got that little saw riff quite nicely mixed in. Lead-in to the climax is good, but you backed off the overall level a bit. Probably from trying to fit the pads in. Don't be afraid of the sidechain. Though the percs are really well mixed in this. Though you do lose some HF energy.

Overall pretty darn good. Definitely liked the perc work. Lots of attention paid to them.
APZX thank you for your review and comments on my mix. I find your comments very objective and coming from you, the artist, I cant have better critic. I wanted to ask you if you have any particular mix reference that I could use to bring this track to your liking. I can recall it and make it sound as you envision it. Please, let me know.
Kind regards,
Javier
(25-10-2016, 07:53 PM)javierpg84 Wrote: APZX thank you for your review and comments on my mix. I find your comments very objective and coming from you, the artist, I cant have better critic. I wanted to ask you if you have any particular mix reference that I could use to bring this track to your liking. I can recall it and make it sound as you envision it. Please, let me know.
Kind regards,
Javier

That is up to you if you want to take another stab at it! I mean for me personally I love hearing the way others interpret the multi-track. It really reveals a lot to me on others thought processes. I mean I don't have a "reference" for it per se because I've never really associated music quite that way personally. If you want to hear the original mix that I did (besides trying to write music I do actually try my hand at mixing), you can download it here. Don't worry about the v2 at the end. I originally submitted this OverClocked Remix a little over a year ago and the first submission got denied so I did some reworking and v2 was the result. It is basically the same track just with some more work in the middle of the track and a redo of the mix.

Really, the thing with how I approach a mix and composition is that I love using FX as part of sound design, but rarely do I ever render them as part of the raw multi tracks because I feel it artificially limits the options to the mixer. Any decent mixer should be able to listen to the rough mix and get a general idea of what kind of FX were in use, how much reverb, delay, compression, which elements to highlight, etc . . .. But by forcing their hands with FX imprinted can lead to an inferior mix at the end day IMO.

Like take that drum beat in middle of this track as an example. I ended up cutting out most of it in the final mix. I decided ultimately that it really only helped to lift the track to a point rather than do what I expected it to at the end of the day. Just how it goes sometimes. Now, I'm not expecting anyone here to really do it, but sometimes doing things like that can help a mix rather than hurt it. Sure it is a bit of a risk on the mixer's part to act like a "producer" so to speak, but if it helps the mix I'm not against it.