Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet - All The GinIs Gone ( Daniel Horta Mix )
Hey guys, what you think about my mix? Big Grin

.mp3    Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet - All The GinIs Gone.mp3 --  (Download: 8.71 MB)

First of all, I think you have a fantastic sound. Space sounds just suitable for this genre. Solo instrument balances are fine to my ears. Sound stage feels correct.

But some points should be fixed:
- That kick comes out really too BOOMY, you probably used huge amount of parallel compression.

- Snare is maybe a bit too loud. I also made snare pretty loud (or too loud), but in this case we hear all the chost notes too clearly. They are not chosts any more.

- Bass-drums balance is not optimal yet. Listen for the moment by soloing them and you’ll notice that the bass player is playing behind the back of drummer. Try to find a position where they’re are side by side and create the groove together. But after you’ve fixed that kick.
(21-10-2016, 06:18 AM)Olli H Wrote: First of all, I think you have a fantastic sound. Space sounds just suitable for this genre. Solo instrument balances are fine to my ears. Sound stage feels correct.

But some points should be fixed:
- That kick comes out really too BOOMY, you probably used huge amount of parallel compression.

- Snare is maybe a bit too loud. I also made snare pretty loud (or too loud), but in this case we hear all the chost notes too clearly. They are not chosts any more.

- Bass-drums balance is not optimal yet. Listen for the moment by soloing them and you’ll notice that the bass player is playing behind the back of drummer. Try to find a position where they’re are side by side and create the groove together. But after you’ve fixed that kick.

Hey Olli H... First of all, thank you very much for your reply!

I tried to make changes based on your reply and I really think that the bass-drum balance wasn't good enought. But in the case of this boomy kick sound, I did purposely for add an intensety on the low end. It's just a matter of taste.

.mp3    Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet - All The Gin Is Gone.mp3 --  (Download: 8.71 MB)

I think the boomy kick is definitely okay to do, but you may have overshot it a bit. Maybe add some of the inside mic to help the ear locate each distinct hit. It would also fit better if the bass got a little of the same treatment.