Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Gin Is Gone_Mix&Mstr 2nd try
Hi everybody,
Gave it another try and compared it to the original mp3-mix…..sounds kinda strange there to my ears. This 2nd mix & master of mine sounds as intended. You may shoot now if you like……………..

.m4a    All The Gin Is Gone_Mstr_v2.m4a --  (Download: 8.8 MB)

i like the balance but overall it sounds a bit thin to me. maybe you could use a spectrum-analyser or some reference mixes to check your sound against. i recommend the free 'slick eq master' by tokyo dawn labs (the 'learn' button can give you some idea).
Thanks loupi for commenting. I wasn’t sure how to treat this style of Jazz without doing injustice to the instruments. My idea was to approximate how they would sound together in an imaginary club venue or something like that. Funny you mention Slick EQ, it is one of my favorite EQ’s, and I did not notice anything particularly strange there, plus it sounded OK to my ears, certainly not thin, but I do get what you mean. I’ll give it another try and remaster.
Thanks again!
(20-10-2016, 02:00 PM)sgwork Wrote: Thanks loupi for commenting. I wasn’t sure how to treat this style of Jazz without doing injustice to the instruments. My idea was to approximate how they would sound together in an imaginary club venue or something like that. Funny you mention Slick EQ, it is one of my favorite EQ’s, and I did not notice anything particularly strange there, plus it sounded OK to my ears, certainly not thin, but I do get what you mean. I’ll give it another try and remaster.
Thanks again!

I do agree that it is thin. Perhaps you are listening on headphones? Try playing it in a different location other than where you mixed it. It could be a boosted bass/low mids response in your room.

Anyway learning to mix is a process and we are all still learning. Just don't give up because every great mix comes after many bad ones.

Do have a listen to mine too! http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=16849

(28-10-2016, 07:10 AM)demos1988 Wrote:
(20-10-2016, 02:00 PM)sgwork Wrote: Thanks loupi for commenting. I wasn’t sure how to treat this style of Jazz without doing injustice to the instruments. My idea was to approximate how they would sound together in an imaginary club venue or something like that. Funny you mention Slick EQ, it is one of my favorite EQ’s, and I did not notice anything particularly strange there, plus it sounded OK to my ears, certainly not thin, but I do get what you mean. I’ll give it another try and remaster.
Thanks again!

I do agree that it is thin. Perhaps you are listening on headphones? Try playing it in a different location other than where you mixed it. It could be a boosted bass/low mids response in your room.

Anyway learning to mix is a process and we are all still learning. Just don't give up because every great mix comes after many bad ones.

Do have a listen to mine too! http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=16849

Yea, I know, tried to go for transparency sound wise ….I gave it another try in v4 over here:

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=16770