Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colour me Red mixed by Dcp
(05-11-2016, 01:20 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: After taking a break from the mix for about a week and coming back to it, here's what I came up with. The drums are unedited like my first master, editing them made the drums sound too machine like and took away the groove of the track.
Cheers,
Dcp

Agree with you on the drums. The timing isn't perfect, but I also decided against starting down that path. Seems a bit more authentic with some variation.

Notes, after listening to the mix:

1) The intro is too quiet (it almost took my head off when the first verse kicked in!). If you wanted to keep the effect though, maybe a fade up combined with a filter sweep, so it sounds like it's coming from the distance, but then ends at a more sensible level before the verse kicks in?

2) The lead vocal is the highlight of this mix. Very nice processing. Slap delay works well. Guitars also sound good on the latest mix.

3) The drums sound good: except for the kick/compressor interaction. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it didn't seem to quite work (to my ears.)

Hope this helps. Cheers, Jeff

All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(07-11-2016, 05:21 PM)jeffd42 Wrote: Agree with you on the drums. The timing isn't perfect, but I also decided against starting down that path. Seems a bit more authentic with some variation.

Notes, after listening to the mix:

1) The intro is too quiet (it almost took my head off when the first verse kicked in!). If you wanted to keep the effect though, maybe a fade up combined with a filter sweep, so it sounds like it's coming from the distance, but then ends at a more sensible level before the verse kicks in?

2) The lead vocal is the highlight of this mix. Very nice processing. Slap delay works well. Guitars also sound good on the latest mix.

3) The drums sound good: except for the kick/compressor interaction. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it didn't seem to quite work (to my ears.)

Hope this helps. Cheers, Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I didn't actually use a compressor persay on the kick. What you're hearing is a transient designer, I think the culprit is that I ran the kick too hot through parallel processing with my snare (Waves 1176 "British Mode" set so that it pumps).

I agree on the intro, got carried away with making it small sounding and now it's too small Big Grin, this looks like a job for One Knob Filter.

Cheers,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
hey Dcp.

Listening to v4. Love the intro..... but it nearly blew my ears out when the band came in! Lol. The level contrast could certainly be tweaked.

Very solid mix. Love the bass during the drop.....and the drum balance sounds great then too. Vocal also sound very good to me and when the band comes in after the intro it sounds fantastic Big Grin

The mix does pump and as the mix goes on i find it increasingly fatiguing to listen too. I read that you thought the pump came from the parallel processing from your your kick...but for me....the only time the mix doesn't pump is during the drop when i think the drums, bass and vocal work really well together.

The pumping seems at its most obvious when the band is playing which suggest to me possibly your MBC setting are causing the pump. I remember that you left a comment on my thread recommending some MBC settings

(06-11-2016, 03:40 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: ..... as a suggestion try using a 4:1 ratio on your SSL buss comp with a 10 ms attack and 100 ms release and aim for about 2.5-4 dBs of reduction, that's my usual setting when I'm using it on my master buss.

To me, the release time of 100 ms may be too fast to allow for a natural sounding recovery....the recovery will tend to be ahead of the natural groove and make the mix rhythm more staccato than one would expect.

Coupled with a fairly hefty amount of gain reduction at a solid 4:1 ratio.....if you're running anything like this, then i would expect your mix to pump.....

Also.....when the vocal comes in for the first time with the line "meet me at the hollow", the vox drops in volume really unexpectedly .... this may be your MBC or maybe its automation but the effect is dramatic and a little bit unnatural.

I guess my overall comment would be that if you allow the mix to breathe more by reducing the pump, I think you have a lot of components in place for this to be a really good mix.

well done and keep it up.

Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
(11-11-2016, 06:04 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: hey Dcp.

Listening to v4. Love the intro..... but it nearly blew my ears out when the band came in! Lol. The level contrast could certainly be tweaked.

Very solid mix. Love the bass during the drop.....and the drum balance sounds great then too. Vocal also sound very good to me and when the band comes in after the intro it sounds fantastic Big Grin

The mix does pump and as the mix goes on i find it increasingly fatiguing to listen too. I read that you thought the pump came from the parallel processing from your your kick...but for me....the only time the mix doesn't pump is during the drop when i think the drums, bass and vocal work really well together.

The pumping seems at its most obvious when the band is playing which suggest to me possibly your MBC setting are causing the pump. I remember that you left a comment on my thread recommending some MBC settings

(06-11-2016, 03:40 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: ..... as a suggestion try using a 4:1 ratio on your SSL buss comp with a 10 ms attack and 100 ms release and aim for about 2.5-4 dBs of reduction, that's my usual setting when I'm using it on my master buss.

To me, the release time of 100 ms may be too fast to allow for a natural sounding recovery....the recovery will tend to be ahead of the natural groove and make the mix rhythm more staccato than one would expect.

Coupled with a fairly hefty amount of gain reduction at a solid 4:1 ratio.....if you're running anything like this, then i would expect your mix to pump.....

Also.....when the vocal comes in for the first time with the line "meet me at the hollow", the vox drops in volume really unexpectedly .... this may be your MBC or maybe its automation but the effect is dramatic and a little bit unnatural.

I guess my overall comment would be that if you allow the mix to breathe more by reducing the pump, I think you have a lot of components in place for this to be a really good mix.

well done and keep it up.

Cheers, Simon

Hi Hb my mixbuss comp here isn't actually the SSL at all, it's the Focusrite Scarlett compressor that came with my interface. I do agree with you though, the mix is definitely pumping pretty hard(I think it was plulling 5 dB every time the kick hit Angel ). The 4:1 ratio on the SSL is actually is abit different to most compressors (as far as I know, I could be wrong too) where it actually pulls less gain reduction in that mode due to a harder Knee, the 2:1 ratio is more gentle on the knee but pulls lots of gain fairly quickly, the 4:1 is more of a "gluey" sound that 2:1.

The vocal dip you heard was in my automation and I did end up finding it after you mentioned it.

Cheers and thanks for the comments,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
I think your latest version is the best so far, there is more depth to this mix than the others.

Overall good job.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(20-11-2016, 01:34 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: I think your latest version is the best so far, there is more depth to this mix than the others.

Overall good job.

Thanks for the comments Wesley! I'm just fixing some issues with some pumping and a couple of automation errors with this last revision, should be up soon.

Cheers,
Doug

Here's the revised version of the last mix.

.mp3    Colour me Red Master 5.mp3 --  (Download: 4.47 MB)