Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colour me Red mixed by Dcp
Listening to your last mix on ns 10's ,sounds more balanced the bass sounds much fuller .

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

dead sound. very little reverberation.
(22-10-2016, 11:40 AM)SollarOfRoader Wrote: dead sound. very little reverberation.

Really helpful comment there Angel
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
The music sounds very underwhelming when it kicks in - you probably need to make the acoustic intro sound WORSE than the music to redress the balance. Note sure that electric guitar sound is working - sounds like a broken amp! Love the Leslie effect on the keys though... I like the slap on the vocal too. I think the guitars need work, but the rest sounds great!
(28-10-2016, 02:38 PM)joelonsdale Wrote: The music sounds very underwhelming when it kicks in - you probably need to make the acoustic intro sound WORSE than the music to redress the balance. Note sure that electric guitar sound is working - sounds like a broken amp! Love the Leslie effect on the keys though... I like the slap on the vocal too. I think the guitars need work, but the rest sounds great!

I'm already running the intro guitars through Izotope Vinyl on the most degraded settings, how do I get any worse than that?! They're already distorted and filtered to hell! The electric guitars are actually the clean DIs run through Softube Saturation Knob and a RedWirez Marshall 1960a Cab impulse. The acoustics are actually pretty heavely processed with EQ, I wanted them to be moreso the "air" around the electrics, hence why they're scooped out so much. It allows the broken sound of the electrics have it's space in the center.

Thanks for the critique,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Hi! I like your sonic ideas, especially the keyboards sound nice. Maybe the upper middle resonance in the backing vocals is a bit too much. I'm wondering if you've used any mix bus/master processing at all? If you ask me, I'd ease up on the eqs and add a ton of abusive compression to spice things up. Noticed you had some worries about the flatness. You might try parallel processing to exaggerate things. Create a parallel track of the source track, add a huge disco smile eq and compress it with fast attack, medium release and high ratio so that it sounds absolutely ridiculous, yet it should still have some intelligibility. Then start to blend in the original track to get back the transparency and life. Great for drums and bass, and everything. ^_^
(28-10-2016, 02:53 PM)dcp10200 Wrote:
(28-10-2016, 02:38 PM)joelonsdale Wrote: The music sounds very underwhelming when it kicks in - you probably need to make the acoustic intro sound WORSE than the music to redress the balance. Note sure that electric guitar sound is working - sounds like a broken amp! Love the Leslie effect on the keys though... I like the slap on the vocal too. I think the guitars need work, but the rest sounds great!

I'm already running the intro guitars through Izotope Vinyl on the most degraded settings, how do I get any worse than that?! They're already distorted and filtered to hell! The electric guitars are actually the clean DIs run through Softube Saturation Knob and a RedWirez Marshall 1960a Cab impulse. The acoustics are actually pretty heavely processed with EQ, I wanted them to be moreso the "air" around the electrics, hence why they're scooped out so much. It allows the broken sound of the electrics have it's space in the center.

Thanks for the critique,
Dcp

You can try to reduce the size of the intro guitars with subtractive EQ (low and high cut for instance), using a mono instead of a stereo reverb or panning the guitar to one side. My humble opinion is that the intro guitar currently sounds more aggressive, louder and more impressive than the whole band when they come in and making the intro guitar sound smaller is probably the solution. By the way, "destroying" audio can make it sound great - like a guitar amp does - so perhaps find another way to achieve your goal...
(28-10-2016, 02:38 PM)joelonsdale Wrote: You can try to reduce the size of the intro guitars with subtractive EQ (low and high cut for instance), using a mono instead of a stereo reverb or panning the guitar to one side. My humble opinion is that the intro guitar currently sounds more aggressive, louder and more impressive than the whole band when they come in and making the intro guitar sound smaller is probably the solution. By the way, "destroying" audio can make it sound great - like a guitar amp does - so perhaps find another way to achieve your goal...
Thanks for clarifying, I'm working on a couple of new revisions using the DI Acoustic through a guitar amp and some aggressive filtering.

After taking a break from the mix for about a week and coming back to it, here's what I came up with. The drums are unedited like my first master, editing them made the drums sound too machine like and took away the groove of the track.

Cheers,
Dcp

.mp3    Colour me Red Master 4.mp3 --  (Download: 4.49 MB)

Thanks for your comments on my mix. I really liked your mix "master 4". Everything sounds well balanced and very clear. I like the telephone effect on the acoustic guitar intro, but I thought the volume was a little too low. I liked how you muted the kick drum on the second verse to set it apart from the first verse. Great job!