Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Mix
How do you like it.

.mp3    LeadInc_InnerCircle_Full.mp3 --  (Download: 12.58 MB)

(17-10-2016, 12:01 PM)littlemaru Wrote: How do you like it.

Levels are nicely balanced.

Interesting choice of reverb/delay on the vocals -- catches attention. Is there a smallish room or chamber setting in there?

Clarity on the bass guitar is notable throughout.

Perhaps a tad more body to the snare might be appropriate in places.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Jeff
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(19-10-2016, 03:06 AM)jeffd42 Wrote:
(17-10-2016, 12:01 PM)littlemaru Wrote: How do you like it.

Levels are nicely balanced.

Interesting choice of reverb/delay on the vocals -- catches attention. Is there a smallish room or chamber setting in there?

Clarity on the bass guitar is notable throughout.

Perhaps a tad more body to the snare might be appropriate in places.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Jeff
Thanks for the feedback Jeff.
I send all the vocals from my AUX sum to a large-spaced reverb, but I feed it ever so slightly so it remains tight (my idea behind it is to get a bright sounding tail but have it disappear in the background rather quick), send it to a basic quarter note delay and then compress the whole sum of that with a very gentle compressor just enough to bring out the sparkle.
Reverb is the basic H-Reverb.
How bright and in your face everything sounds I gotta to give to the excellent to LA-2A optical compressor (Waves modeled version in this case, thou all of them sound different yet excellent).
I have also boosted the high end a bit on the whole of it with a Scheps 73 and cut some muddiness and some harshness in the high mid with a FabFilter Pro-Q2.

Bass guitar was tricky for me so I'm glad you noticed it. I ended up using only the 2nd mic Compressed it like 5 times (with softer, harder settings parallel one...) with different EQs in between so i get reasonably balanced tone and pressure trough the all the octaves and dynamics.
In hindsight I felt I overdid it and made it a bit thin, but for me what saves it in the long run is the stereo chorus effect that makes it much bigger and gives it presence in the low mid.

I had a bit of trouble with the snare, because it bleeds out pretty heavy on all my drum mics and there are some phase issues here and there even after the gates. I tried to side-chain some of it out on the overheads but it was cutting too many tails so I thought I'd let it slide.
I will work on it some more maybe try to trigger a sample for body perhaps?
Helps immensely actually, I tend to get a bit too hung up on unimportant details and I can't hear the big things so having someone just point them out for me is very valuable.

.mp3    LeadInc_InnerCircle Vocals.mp3 --  (Download: 703.53 KB)