Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first mix on this site...
I'd like to start with a Hello since I am new here! I am very excited about finding this site today. All the mixes that I have heard on this site are AMAZING. I am also eager to grow as an engineer.

With that, this is my first mix on this site. I am slightly nervous about submitting it, but mostly because it is quite different than the reference track. I personally wanted to try to add some space to this song, to enhance its mysterious quality. I have 3 hrs into this project.

I hope you will find some good in my choices.

.mp3    The Road Ahead-RMF VS.mp3 --  (Download: 9.96 MB)

I like the reverb on that percussion, although it sounds a bit lonely over there on its own. Maybe a guitar effect return could go there, just an idea though.

I really like that drum, it sounds like there's probably a lot more low end in it than what most playback systems (including my small hifi Smile ) can reproduce but it sounds great.

Ah, there's a guitar coming in on the right now. Smile

Chris
I like the sonics in your mix. But there seems to be something wrong with the rhythm. I can not say precisely which part as that rhythmic ambiguity seems to come from each instrument at different moments. I first noticed it, when that low drum enters.
Thanks for checking it out and sending me feedback man. You are exactly right though. I have made a new rule for myself since this mix.....I have always been told that nothing good happens after 11pm when I was a teenager (much older now Smile ) but I am going to stick to that and not post a mix after midnight anymore. It seems that I always find things that I missed by "finishing" prematurely (thats what she said! haha)

The kick drum beat needs to be in time for sure. I wanted space in the mix, but I think it is TOO wet (in parts) now. This is a tricky mix because the guitars and vocals were recorded together, but I lost some of the low end that I need in the guitar....I believe the tuning is drop D, and it needs it. I also would like to bring out a little more low end of the hand drum, and remove some of the low end on the kick.

I have listened to this mix on other systems now, and I am questioning if I need to calibrate my monitors at home. All the same thanks for feedback!
Hi Aussiebail,

I like the idea of a reverby version of this song; in some ways it opens up the vocals a bit more than Mike's mix, though it also makes everything feel thinner. The kick is a bit too heavy in contrast for me. Cheers!