Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who I am. My mix
My first mix of a country song. I was glad I found this song because I just love it. You know, a country song for a Spaniard like me is something quite exotic...

Anyway, for the first time I can hear all the instruments I've been trying to mix and most of them have an acceptable sound in my opinion (you might laugh about it but keep in mind that I've been mixing for only 5 months).

But, the best way to improve it is by learning your own mistakes, so I'm more than ready to hear your opinions and critics.

Thank you!

.mp3    Uncle Dad _ Who I am.mp3 --  (Download: 2.87 MB)

Hi there!

Only been mixing for 5 months? Good job!

In my opinion Country is all about keeping it natural and "rural".

Your mix sound very processed, many times that´s a good thing but the thing about mixing is you have to be very versatile and understand the genre you are working in. Reference listening is the number 1 thing you have to do. Everybody does it, including the top mixers in the world.

I don´t mean to beat you down or discourage you from mixing OR posting here. Hope you take it the right way. Smile

Some "facts" about your mix:

- The vocals are too loud in comparison to the rest of the track in the verses
- A little less reverb on the vocals
- Sidestick (snare) is buried
- Ac guitar is too loud in the verses
- Some panning of the violin and banjo would make your mix wider, that goes for ac guitar too.

As I said, hope you take this the right way and I believe that you have a bright future in this business if you´ve only mixedfor 5 months. Keep em coming!

Cheers,
/Marcus
Hi jamolir!! On the contrary, all opinions encourage me to go on and learn. You've given me lots of things to pay attention to and that's exactly what I was looking for!

I'll review my mix, and I'll try to fix those mistakes.

Thank you so much!
The vocals are way too loud.
I cant listen to the rest
Ok, I've tried to improve the song:

- The vocals are too loud in comparison to the rest of the track in the verses: I've tried to use a trick mentioned in Mike's book that said that turn the fader all the way down and little by little turn it up until you think that it's got a good level. Then just the opposite, by turning it up and going down. Then somewhere between those "good" points, will be the right level. Well, let's see if it has worked out or not!

- A little less reverb on the vocals: You got it!
- Sidestick (snare) is buried: you were absolutely right and I noticed that it couldn't be heard. Now at least I can Rolleyes
- Ac guitar is too loud in the verses: not anymore!
- Some panning of the violin and banjo would make your mix wider, that goes for ac guitar too.: granted!

The only thing I haven't done is trying to approach a more 'country style' sound because I believe that I have to listen to than kind of music for a few days in order to pay attention to how instruments sound. I don't think that listening a couple of songs will do the trick.

That's one of the most amazing things you find when you start mixing: before I was paying attention to the overall sound of a song, but I didn't care much about individual sounds in a song; and now I do! So little by little I'm learning about it; and the more I learn, the more I like it!!

.mp3    Uncle Dad _ Who I am 2.mp3 --  (Download: 2.86 MB)

(01-06-2013, 09:58 AM)juanjose1967 Wrote: Ok, I've tried to improve the song:

- The vocals are too loud in comparison to the rest of the track in the verses: I've tried to use a trick mentioned in Mike's book that said that turn the fader all the way down and little by little turn it up until you think that it's got a good level. Then just the opposite, by turning it up and going down. Then somewhere between those "good" points, will be the right level. Well, let's see if it has worked out or not!

- A little less reverb on the vocals: You got it!
- Sidestick (snare) is buried: you were absolutely right and I noticed that it couldn't be heard. Now at least I can Rolleyes
- Ac guitar is too loud in the verses: not anymore!
- Some panning of the violin and banjo would make your mix wider, that goes for ac guitar too.: granted!

The only thing I haven't done is trying to approach a more 'country style' sound because I believe that I have to listen to than kind of music for a few days in order to pay attention to how instruments sound. I don't think that listening a couple of songs will do the trick.

That's one of the most amazing things you find when you start mixing: before I was paying attention to the overall sound of a song, but I didn't care much about individual sounds in a song; and now I do! So little by little I'm learning about it; and the more I learn, the more I like it!!

Hi there,

Much better!

I think you could take the vocals down 2-3dbs more in the verse or maybe high pass it to 120-140hz.

But overall a clear improvement!

Keep it up!

Cheers
/Marcus

Hi
sounding great !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Jamolir, here it is with a couple of db down in the verses.

Glad you like it better now! Rolleyes

...and thank you Thedon!!

.mp3    Uncle Dad _ Who I am.mp3 --  (Download: 2.87 MB)

(01-06-2013, 11:10 AM)juanjose1967 Wrote: Jamolir, here it is with a couple of db down in the verses.

Glad you like it better now! Rolleyes

...and thank you Thedon!!

Great to hear huge improvement in such a short time Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Good sounding mix,nice ballance.The h hats are too loud
and the lead vox could still come down a tad i think.
Also the snare is a little thin sounding but its ok maybe just a tad
more meat to it.overall tho well done.