Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red'
Hey Don!

Very nice and super clean mix (5.5)! It might be my version in my head, but I think it could do with a little bit of lower mids on the acoustic. They seem a little thin for me. . . .but that is based purely on the intro I think. I think your balances are pretty damned solid! I agree with the statement about the compression and the affect of the effect (hehe).

This could be one of the only times I've said this, I think, but maybe a little muddiness wouldn't be a bad thing for this song? Not so much that it covers instruments. . . but enough that it makes it feel. . . . . .a little less polished?

All in all, fantastic work man!
Draper
(22-11-2016, 11:54 PM)loweche6 Wrote: Hey Don!

Very nice and super clean mix (5.5)! It might be my version in my head, but I think it could do with a little bit of lower mids on the acoustic. They seem a little thin for me. . . .but that is based purely on the intro I think. I think your balances are pretty damned solid! I agree with the statement about the compression and the affect of the effect (hehe).

This could be one of the only times I've said this, I think, but maybe a little muddiness wouldn't be a bad thing for this song? Not so much that it covers instruments. . . but enough that it makes it feel. . . . . .a little less polished?

All in all, fantastic work man!
Draper
Hi Draper ,
Thanks for having a listen ,will have another play around .

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

This mix is amazing! Super clear and well-balanced.
But it sure is hella-loud (see screenshot) and you might risk less-than-optimal playback on streaming services because of that.
Cheers! Graham

Thumbnail(s)

I know I'm late to the game but I just listened to v5.5 and it sounds great. There's a few things that I noticed.
The kick feels pretty loud and a little disconnected from the mix. It also might be too 'nice' and modern sounding for the song and takes away from the "rustic" feel of the band.

Conversely the bass could have a little more distinction. It's nice and fat but I'd like to hear the notes a little more.

There also feel like there's a subtle hiss through the song. It's not bad but jumped out at me.

In the end it feels like a mixer's mix. If that makes any sense.

Hope that's all fair. It does sound great and definitely gives us something to shoot for.
(25-11-2016, 12:57 PM)IRONWORK Wrote: This mix is amazing! Super clear and well-balanced.
But it sure is hella-loud (see screenshot) and you might risk less-than-optimal playback on streaming services because of that.
Cheers! Graham
Hi Graham thanks for taking the time to have a listen and the screen shot, I did overcook the limiting a touchBlush

Cheers Big Grin

(25-11-2016, 02:44 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I know I'm late to the game but I just listened to v5.5 and it sounds great. There's a few things that I noticed.
The kick feels pretty loud and a little disconnected from the mix. It also might be too 'nice' and modern sounding for the song and takes away from the "rustic" feel of the band.

Conversely the bass could have a little more distinction. It's nice and fat but I'd like to hear the notes a little more.

There also feel like there's a subtle hiss through the song. It's not bad but jumped out at me.

In the end it feels like a mixer's mix. If that makes any sense.

Hope that's all fair. It does sound great and definitely gives us something to shoot for.
Thanks for having a listen Roy, I agree with you and will try to sort out in the next version.

Cheers Big Grin

Quote:My wife and kids keep asking why I keep playing the same song over and over again, they think I'm nuts and probably right lol.

Cheers Big Grin
My family think the same thing about my continual retweaking
(28-11-2016, 09:40 PM)Activesense Wrote:
Quote:My wife and kids keep asking why I keep playing the same song over and over again, they think I'm nuts and probably right lol.

Cheers Big Grin
My family think the same thing about my continual retweaking
Ha Ha ha ha ,Didn't get time to finish version 6 and fix things like the kick for that reason lol ,the latest version 5.5 was done 95% on HD600's with Waves NX windows ( not the DAW ) version and 5% auratones but don't tell anyone !

Cheers Big Grin

Congrats on your placement in the contest Don.. great stuff!!!
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Well done Don .